Balboa 20 Trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 13, 2012
mac mac ca
I am trying to find a trailer for my 1969 Balboa 20. Can I use any 20' boat trailer or do I need something specific?
Thanks

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
I am trying to find a trailer for my 1969 Balboa 20. Can I use any 20' boat trailer or do I need something specific?
Thanks
You don't need a specific "BALBOA 20" trailer, any boat trailer that has sufficient weight capacity and lenght for a 20' sailboat should work. You will need to be able to adjust the bunks or rollers high enough to support the boat with room underneath for the keel (I assume you have the retractable-keel model?) and there needs to be support under the keel so you are not putting strain on the winch and cable that raises the keel. I would think that the trailer for another similar-sized sailboat will work if adjustments can be made. A powerboat trailer will also work as long as it meets the above requirements for bunk height and keel support. I think that the trailer for an ENSENADA 20 will be a direct replacement for the Balboa since they had the same hull and keel setup.

Just be sure to also take into account the launching conditions at your typical ramp when choosing a trailer. I once watched a couple try to launch a Balboa 20 (vintage 1969 or so) that was the fixed-keel version and their trailer had the boat sitting a bit high. Even during a higher than normal high tide they were unable to get the boat easily off the trailer at the local ramp, sadly they were maybe 2" (maybe less!) too high off the road level to float the boat off.

Chas

Jan 22, 2008
Oday Widgeon IL
balboa 20 trailer

I do not know where the trailer for my Balboa 20 came from. It has carpeted 2 x 6 bunks supported on channels bolted to the frame members supporting the boat. There is also a roller at the back bottom that the keel rides on, sort of.
I adjusted the bunks inward to lift the boat up a few inches so that the keel was not resting on the axle. That would have slammed the keel up into the boat with every bump.
There should be pictures attached to this somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.