Balboa 20 mainsail rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bassninja33

I have a 1973 Balboa 20 which I purchased this year. The boat is in very good shape except the previous owner set it up for racing with a mid-cockpit main sheet traveler. This thing is killing my knees and also poses a hazard when stepping the mast. I am trying to find diagrams of the original rigging where the mainsheet block was on the aft of the boom and the mainsheet ran to two blocks on the starboard and port stern. I would like to find the simplest rig possible. I have one drawing showing a harken 57mm triple block on the boom and two harken 57mm fiddle blocks with cams on either side of the stern. This seems like an awful lot of line just for the convenience of controlling the mainsheet equally from either side of the cockpit. Can anyone provide a more simple rig?? I would appreciate the help. Fair winds to all, Gordon

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A double block on the boom, a single on one side, a single cam/ratchet with becket block on the other side. (this would be the control side.) You end up with 4:1 purchase.

Jan 20, 2010
Balboa 20 hull#435 Lake Guntersville,Al
Balboa mainsail rigging

A double block on the boom, a single on one side, a single cam/ratchet with becket block on the other side. (this would be the control side.) You end up with 4:1 purchase.
Thanx , Joe and fair winds to you. Gordon

May 14, 2010
Balboa 20 Reidsville
Help on Rigging

Joe,
I am a new Balboa sailor and desperately need help.Any diagrams for rigging, manuals, specs, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I am having a difficult time. Every time I try to get help from vendors they have no idea about the 20. I have even heard "the 26' stuff will work". Sort of like, "do you want to supersize that?"

Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.