Balboa 20 Keel bolt location ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
- - Lake Perris,California
Is the small sealed triangle on the floor in front of the sink the access????:confused:

K7KIT

Mar 14, 2009
Balboa 20 Florence Oregon
They are all in the same place but access might depend on which year and manufacturer, the early B20 having a plywood interior and the later ones FRP. Basically, an inch or so forward of the aft edge of the keel trunk, an inch or so above the hull - if that helps.

Last edited:

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Still can't locate. My boat is a 1971 B20. Looking to release keel from boat to overhaul.

K7KIT

Mar 14, 2009
Balboa 20 Florence Oregon
There are a couple of web pages out there that might be of help. Take a look at ...

http://www.thescanlons.us/images/banshee/keel_text.htm if you look at the link "nut for lockdown bolt", you will see the port side nut on the keel bolt at the bottom of the photo. Looks like a gallon of water is obscuring the starboard side nut.

http://dcwi.com/~nybarra/keel.html also has good information on keel R&R on an Ensanada (same basic hull as a B20)

I might suggest also the yahoo group "Balboa26-boats", good support group for even us with the B20's.

Good luck on the keel rehab ... above all, be careful, the darn thing weighs 450 plus pounds!

Les

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Thanks a millon Les for the valuable info..Wish I was able to get onto Lyle Hess's site. Many attempts but no luck. Ed

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Restoration back on track

Removed small triangle on floor. Located a shiny keel bolt. About two gallons gushed to the floor. Raised the front of trailor and got another two. Boat was kept outside by PO and it was not covered. Attempted to slide out trailer extension but needed a come-along to help. Strange trailer only had a one foot brake line.After disconnect found line dry. Thought the brakes worked when I brought it home. Took some pictures. Ed

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.