Balboa 20 #405 Total Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
- - Lake Perris,California
The Balboa site seems a little quiet. Thought I'd start posting my new project. Bought the boat for $500. It's a 71'. Came with good trailer with surge brakes and a very light coat of rust. Boat hull is very sound. Can't believe how many small holes every where on the deck and cabin from PO's items that no longer exist. Did have a pulpit but it's not there. Thought about cleaning stock carpet but it was rotten and moldy. Mast and rigging in great shape.Had to replace the mast boot,got one from Ida sailor ($100) great fit ! Between the mast and thick fiberglass I could build two of my Mac 26S. Will post pictures later. Ed :):):)

K7KIT

Mar 14, 2009
Balboa 20 Florence Oregon
Ed,

I am amazed that in 1970 they produced hull 281, and the next year made hull 405. They must have kept the molds hot.

Have you looked at the Balboa yahoo group. There are a few 20's on there with some nice photo's. The only photo's of mine are not long after I got it home, and maybe even the first time I looked at it.

You might consider putting your boat on

http://sites.google.com/site/balboa26map/

Not many 20's on there ... my boat is feeling pretty lonely :)

Good luck on the restoration/refit. Mine had allot of holes, some even filled with bondo and even some with silicone. Somewhere around here I have a note with how many I have filled.

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Thanks for the reply. Opened the sail bags today. Am very happy with the condition of the 100,150 and main. Made by Tailor. Material light compared to my mac sails. Think it must be 4oz. Notice your K7KIT. Ham ? Been one since 1960 WA6ODH haven't been on air since 92' Ed

Z

zogumwesterly

I'm restoring a balboa as well.

I live in northwest florida and have started fixing up an old B20 as well. Where are you located? What kind of projects do you have going? I would love to stay in contact with someone who's doing the same.

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
I live in northwest florida and have started fixing up an old B20 as well. Where are you located? What kind of projects do you have going? I would love to stay in contact with someone who's doing the same.
Live in Southern California. Have so far sanded all the teak down and only applied lemon oil. What a difference. They look new ! Tore out all the gold carpet. What a rotten mess. Couldn't do it without shop vac. Threw away all coushins as they stunk .Will need to buy long brake line as it came with one foot which makes the extended tongue not usable.:eek:

K7KIT

Mar 14, 2009
Ed,

Yup, ham, feel free to look me up on QRZ and give a shout via email. Too bad you have not been on the air since 92'. Since we are on the same coast, we should do a 'group' sail somewhere once we get these boats all sorted out.

My project list is endless ... and getting longer every day. I constantly have to remind myself to make it safe ... I tend to spend too much time on the small details and never get the darn thing completed.

I still have allot of epoxy work to do, the weather here has turned to the cool side, so now am enclosing the bay in the shop the Balboa is in so I can heat it. Like I said, the list grows longer every day ...

73 de K7KIT

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Ed,

I am amazed that in 1970 they produced hull 281, and the next year made hull 405. They must have kept the molds hot.

Have you looked at the Balboa yahoo group. There are a few 20's on there with some nice photo's. The only photo's of mine are not long after I got it home, and maybe even the first time I looked at it.

You might consider putting your boat on

http://sites.google.com/site/balboa26map/

Not many 20's on there ... my boat is feeling pretty lonely :)

Good luck on the restoration/refit. Mine had allot of holes, some even filled with bondo and even some with silicone. Somewhere around here I have a note with how many I have filled.
Am including some photos as work progresses. Carpet needed more than cleaning. Teak is coming along. Looks new ! Still not looking forward to keel issue. Am including a picture of triangle I talked about. Think this is PO'S way at keel bolts.

Attachments

K7KIT

Mar 14, 2009
Ed,

That's what the other interior looks like. Mine is the interior where there is a bulkhead where yours has the small piece just forwart of your starboard triangle. The head (mine originally had a marine head in there) is next to the keel trunk, forward of that bulkhead. If I remember yours should be forward of the keel trunk port side - right?

Great photos my friend! Yes indeed, your keel bolt will be under those little triangular pieces. B20s do have the reputation of having keel bolt seepage, suppose that would eliminate that issue. Of course it will be interesting to see what has grown in that little space. Might even be the cure for cancer!

I was thinking - scarey as it is when I do that. I know someone out there keeps a Balboa 26 registry. What do you, and anyone else who wants to chime in think on us B20 folks doing the same? When/if I get the time on the computer, I am going to try and contact at least one prior website owner who had loads of information on the B20s, set up a website and keep it there. Would also force me to learn more about these electronic beasties. Thinking about it, I do not really trust a radio that does not have the warming glow of tubes either :)

Keep up the good work. Thanks a million for the photo's. Need to get back out there, romex to pull and insululation/sheetrock to hang (all just to apply epoxy in the winter).

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Ed,

That's what the other interior looks like. Mine is the interior where there is a bulkhead where yours has the small piece just forwart of your starboard triangle. The head (mine originally had a marine head in there) is next to the keel trunk, forward of that bulkhead. If I remember yours should be forward of the keel trunk port side - right?

Great photos my friend! Yes indeed, your keel bolt will be under those little triangular pieces. B20s do have the reputation of having keel bolt seepage, suppose that would eliminate that issue. Of course it will be interesting to see what has grown in that little space. Might even be the cure for cancer!

I was thinking - scarey as it is when I do that. I know someone out there keeps a Balboa 26 registry. What do you, and anyone else who wants to chime in think on us B20 folks doing the same? When/if I get the time on the computer, I am going to try and contact at least one prior website owner who had loads of information on the B20s, set up a website and keep it there. Would also force me to learn more about these electronic beasties. Thinking about it, I do not really trust a radio that does not have the warming glow of tubes either :)

Keep up the good work. Thanks a million for the photo's. Need to get back out there, romex to pull and insululation/sheetrock to hang (all just to apply epoxy in the winter).
No seepage at keel bolt. Sounds like a real job to get warm air. Best rig was Swan 600 twins. All six foot of it. :):)Ate finals regularly. Radio's that glow in the dark. Last was a Kenwood 850SAT. Ed :D

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Ed,

Just finished last piece of teak in cabin. Teak is a nasty wood for sure.While sanding 38 years of crud off it smells like a wet coffin of death! Sure looks great just oiled. Tired of doing those spindles in the rails. Atleast I have the Mac 26 to sail while I plan. Now on to the new carpet and cabin paint.:):)

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Just finished last piece of teak in cabin. Teak is a nasty wood for sure.While sanding 38 years of crud off it smells like a wet coffin of death! Sure looks great just oiled. Tired of doing those spindles in the rails. Atleast I have the Mac 26 to sail while I plan. Now on to the new carpet and cabin paint.:):)
Correction ! After finishing all the wood and thinking hard about it, I have come to the conclusion that I had been sanding Mahogany. The only teak on the boat is the handrails. That's what old age does to you.:cry::cry:

Mar 9, 2009
2 20 home
Another B20 Restorer

I am also in the process of restoring a B20, it is number 432. I purchased it from a fellow here in Texas who trailered it down from Wisconsin about 3 years ago with the intention of restoring it. He was not able to find the time so he sold it to me. I just finished replacing the keel winch with a new break winch, the old winch was falling apart. I will put together some pictures of the project and post them if I can figure out how. Good luck!!

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
The Balboa site seems a little quiet. Thought I'd start posting my new project. Bought the boat for $500. It's a 71'. Came with good trailer with surge brakes and a very light coat of rust. Boat hull is very sound. Can't believe how many small holes every where on the deck and cabin from PO's items that no longer exist. Did have a pulpit but it's not there. Thought about cleaning stock carpet but it was rotten and moldy. Mast and rigging in great shape.Had to replace the mast boot,got one from Ida sailor ($100) great fit ! Between the mast and thick fiberglass I could build two of my Mac 26S. Will post pictures later. Ed :):):)
Work is progressing good. Over head liner removed,all cabinets reinstalled. About ready to repaint inside cabin top. Still going with the gray.Included befor and after pictures of bulkhead divider. Looks new ! Ed

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Pictures

Work is progressing good. Over head liner removed,all cabinets reinstalled. About ready to repaint inside cabin top. Still going with the gray.Included befor and after pictures of bulkhead divider. Looks new ! Ed
Pictures

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

K7KIT

Mar 14, 2009
Ed,
Being my boat does not have the same interior as yours. Where does the bulkhead divider go. Forward of the settee between keel trunk and hull?
Les

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Re: Bow Railing

Mine was missing a pulpit too. What was the cost of a new one?? Like the feeling of having one when it gets rough.

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Divider

Ed,
Being my boat does not have the same interior as yours. Where does the bulkhead divider go. Forward of the settee between keel trunk and hull?
Les
It goes between the compression post and inner hull. Clean side was holding table seat back cushion. The other side had a toilet paper holder

Attachments

Mar 9, 2009
2 20 home
Re: Bow Railing

The tubing and hardware was under $150. You need an 8foot section for the main rail, and a couple of 18 to 19 inch sections for the posts in front. I created my own CAD design for the bends. I fabricated a simple homemade jig for the main bow bends and used a simple electrician's conduit bending tool to create the 45 degree down bends. If you would like to try it yourself I can send a drawing plus a little more detailed info.

Ed6889

Jul 29, 2007
Removed and redid small step hatch cover. Do not go with the electrical panel at front of step. Could become wet very easy and the total of 1 1/2" sticking out could be hard on the ankles. It also reduces the area of the first step which is under size to begin with. It looks like it had a meter,switch and 12V & 120V outlets. Am including pictures of change. Question....Does anyone have a idea for plugging numberous 1/4" holes on top of cabin ?? Can't see using bondo or epoxy as it won't hold in the 1/4" thickness.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.