Bahamas storm marina keel pits ?

Oct 26, 2012
morgan 384 Tarpon springs
Has any one seen the keel pits used in the bahamas when a hurricane is about to strike?
I understand they get a back hoe and dig holes and crane drop the boats keel in the hole !! The jack stands tend to fall over in a bad blow..

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I've Seen it in Corpus Christi, TX

Seems like an ideal solution if you have high ground that is high enough

BJV

Jun 8, 2004
Island Trader 41 foot Ketch, CC Arnold
Invariably its not the wind on properperly placed jackstands, but the surge floats the boats off.

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
I doubt they dig a hole in the Bahamas for storage in storms. The islands are mostly coral and limestone so it would need to be blasted rather than using a backhoe. I have never seen this in all of our travels. We know they do this in other islands in the Caribbean. Chuck

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Hurricane holes are small, protected anchorages commonly located around Carribean islands in which you might be advised to pass a storm. However, a quick review of the subject on the web indicates that they have their detractors as safe anchorages. I have been around a few marinas in the Carribean, and I have never seen any yachts sitting hull-down in the dirt... purposefully, at least. Here is a photo of a hurricane hole in Melenesia. It is also called a keel pit. It seems that they should unstep their masts to be truly safe from the wind.

image-2287530883.jpg

Thanks, Andrew