Bahama Bound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Heading to Bahamas from Florida in 30 ft Sailboat. Any advise from others who have made the passage? Best inlet to leave from? Best place to go once there?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
There is no "best" in boating. :) It's all options. :) WADR, this is a very recurring question that has multiple levels of answers. If I was doing this trip (and I'd love to except I'm on the wrong coast! :)), I'd search on this forum for "Bahamas" and also go to www.cruisersforum.com and do the same. Google would also help you out, since there are literally TONS of blogs by people who have done the trip. Here's one: http://cblights.com/cruising/icwbahamas.html Click on the ICW & Bahamas (journal). Good stuff in there.

Safe Journey, have fun.

Rick I

Jan 6, 2007
CS36Merlin and Beneteau 393 - Toronto
It's all good. Where and how depends on how much time you've got.

Aug 29, 2010
Hunter 426 ds Pleasant Prairie, WI
Hi,

We're headed to the Exumas this winter. We spent a month in the Abacos this past spring. Because of the gulf stream current you probably won't want to leave much north of Fort Lauderdale especially if you're going to clear in at Bimini. A lot of people leave from Key Biscayne near Miami and stage there at No Name Harbor (Bill Baggs State Park).

Whatever you do, watch your weather, leave on any wind other than north, be safe and have fun. Maybe we'll see you in Georgetown.

Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
I think your first landfall will depend upon where you leave from and wind and current conditions. I left Ft Lauderdale last Feb headed for Bimini but with wind from 165 degrees the whole way plus Gulf stream ended up at West End and put in at Freeport. The Devils Dictionary defines Decide as an intransitive verb, "to succumb to the preponderance of one set of circumstances over another"! Good luck

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
We had a successful trip staging in Lake Worth and crossing north of West End at Memory Rock. First of Feb we left at 3am, easy to do at Lake Worth. Anchor down at Mangrove Cay at 4pm running about 6k.
Took 2 more days to Green Turtle where we checked in. This route was all anchorages, no marinas. West End marina nicks you with a lot of mandatory fees.
You can cruise south down the Abacos to Little Harbor and wait there for good weather to day sail to Eluthera and further south.

SSB reception is important to have as there will be places where you cant pick up weather via vhf or internet.

Oct 5, 2010
Thank you. Our plan is to do what you did leave Lake Worth probably at first light and then approach the bank at 17:10 or so and then over to walkers cay and on to Spanish Cay.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Why to walkers? Quite out of the way and a little bit tricky to get in with a keelboat.

I would make sure you can reach the edge of the bank before dark. There are only certain places you can enter. Once on, you have good depths over to Great Sale Cay or Mangrove

Oct 5, 2010
The plan is to enter bank north of 17:10 N by the charts water depth is not a problem there and night arrival on the bank is okay. Clearing in at Spanish Cay is option as well.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Seems that I recall paying flr dockage was mandatory at spanish. We went on to Green Turtle to check in

Aug 29, 2010
Thank you. Our plan is to do what you did leave Lake Worth probably at first light and then approach the bank at 17:10 or so and then over to walkers cay and on to Spanish Cay.
We spent almost a week at Grand Cay this past spring waiting for weather. While there we were told that the marina at Walkers Cay is closed and that the island is almost abandoned. Apparently a lot of the residents of Grand Cay had been working at the marina prior to it's closing down so this was a hot topic on the island. Why not check in at West End and from there head over to Great Sale or Mangrove and then on to Spanish or Powell? Or for that matter you could go directly to Memory Rock and then check in further east.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
West End...$
Thr anchorage there is marginal and exposed to the north. The marina rate is low except they add several mandatory fees driving it way up.
We crossed over at Memory Rock. It was easy. Anchored at Mangrove Cay. Next day anchored Crab Cay. Third day Green Turtle Cay. Anchor outside or time the tide to enter Black Sound (5' @ low). Mooring balls are $15/day there.

Oct 5, 2010
Started down ICW, experienced problems with raw water pump hold up in New Smyrna Beach waiting for part. Should have been here today but is not.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The plan is to enter bank north of 17:10 N by the charts water depth is not a problem there and night arrival on the bank is okay. Clearing in at Spanish Cay is option as well.
If weather permits, suggest entering the Little Bahamas Banks long before sundown and head to either Mangrove Cay or on to Great Sale Cay for anchoring, sleep and rest, then on to Spanish Cay, etc. Walkers Cay is well off the 'beaten path'.
Better is to leave FL well before dawn ... or in the late evening, arriving at the entrances to the banks (Memory Rock) well after dawn ... then onwards to further east. Dont enter the 'banks' in bad or NO light - its all 'visual' and there are NO 'markers', just waypoints and your depthsounder. Time your boats depth with the tides on the 'banks' - see Bahamas tides: http://www.barometerbob.com

Use EXPLORER charts for the Abacos or a Garmin Chartplotter thats already loaded with EXPLORER charts. ONLY Explorer charts !!!!!!!

Old Bahama Bay Marina at West End is a fairly good place to land and to settle entry issues, also a good 'contingency' harbor if you 'need one in a hurry' -- narrow entrance blasted through rock and coral and which can get 'exciting' in bad weather from the N/NW/W.

Oct 5, 2010
Been held up in New Smyrna Beach waiting for new raw water pump. Was not on truck on Friday.

Oct 5, 2010
To paraphrase Willy Nelson "On the ICW again." Sea water pump replaced and boat is operational once again. At anchor near Kennedy Space Center heading south to Lake Worth for the crossing.

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I understand one can get stuck in the Bahamas when winter comes. Cold weather, cold water and small unpredictable weather windows to get in and out of many anchorages.

Aug 29, 2010
I understand one can get stuck in the Bahamas when winter comes. Cold weather, cold water and small unpredictable weather windows to get in and out of many anchorages.
It's cruising. Nothing is ever certain. You can mitigate most of these by paying close attention to the weather and using common sense but at the end of the day there are going to occasional "situations" - goes with the territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.