bahama bound on a small boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

augiedoc

I was just wondering if anyone has tried to sail over to the caribean in 22 foot boat. I have an O'Day 22 that I lake sail but dream of going to the islands someday. Do I need a bigger boat to do this safely? would a 25 footer be better? 30 feet? just interested in some feedback or experiences.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

pick your weather wisely

The lawstudent in me feels compelled to disclaim my answer before giving it; consider it disclaimed. From time to time I refer to my firends with the Kelly Petersen. They spent 7 years cruising the South Pacific on their C&C 38 (and have the best sea stories I have ever heard). Anyway, one day they're sitting in Tonga trying to wrench their Atomic 4 out of the boat and replace it with a Kubota drop in unit. Sometime in late afternoon, this harried family arrives on a Cal 22. They look like they've seen better days but are glad to be ashore and are friendly when my friends run into them that night. Turns out they are four Basque refugees who have sailed the Call from Spain, the long way. The son tells of watching the hull oilcan from below in a storm they encountered rounding the Cape. So, it can be done. I know of someone from up here who has an O'day Tempest he plans to sail from Fla to Bahamas. Of course, if a bigger boat comes along, it wouldn't hurt. In any event, watch the weather in the area for a while. Long enough to learn to have a sense about which way its going to turn etc. Not to be a meteorologist, but to be savy. Then pick your window of opportunity, file a float plan, test your radio, buy an epirb, and enjoy the trip. Good luck, YMMV, Justin - O'day Owners' Web

M

Mike Basham

Has Been Done

I'm with ya; I've got an O'Day 23 that I hope to sail to the Bahamas in a couple of years. Once I've got more experience and equipment! Not too long ago, I read an article about a guy and his two sons who sailed a O'Day 22 from Ft. Lauderdale to the Bahamas. Seems like it was on an O'Day or daysailor internet site/bulletin board somewhere. I'll let you know if I run across it again. Good luck.

C

Chris

Be CAREFUL!

It can be done, but PLEASE be careful!!! The last thing anyone needs is people going to see in unseaworthy boats, calling Mayday and having Coast Guard rescue them at great expense. That is a great way to ensure government telling us what we can sail, when, where and how much training we need. In many European countries you go through different classes of licenses before you are allowed to take a boat out of the sight of land overnight. Major pain in the ass! Not trying to be a smart ass, but if you have to ask the question, don't do it! That means you don't have enough experience off shore to know if your boat can make it! If you had enough experience, you'd know the conditions that are likely to happen, and would know if you, or your boat can handle them. I'm sure your boat can make it 90%, maybe even 99% of the time. But all it takes is that one time it can't. Add to that possible lack of skills of the skipper, or safety equipment (sea anchor, drogue etc) and you have a possible disaster! By the same token, don't go buy a 30 or even 40 footer thinking that now you can't go wrong. Those boats will sink just as deep as a 16 footer! A great skipper will probably do better on a questionable boat than a poor skipper on a great boat, but either way is bad. Good luck, be safe, and PLEASE, think about it! Respectfully, Chris S/V Doghouse Houston ckluczkowski@ato.com

T

Tom Carr

Bigger is better

Bigger is better you never know what you'll run into . we hit storms both ways and it can take 12 to 24 hrs to do . better to have someting withcruising range you don't always have wind could take days with wind only .Don't forget the Gulfstream !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.