Bad Light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
:eek:Coast Guard Warns Boaters of Improper Nav Light

posted: 6/12/2013

By: Log News Service
WASHINGTON, D.C. (LOG NEWS SERVICE) -- A navigation light that is not -- in other words, what the Coast Guard calls an inappropriate navigation light -- is being marketed nationally, according to a newly issued alert.

In Marine Safety Alert 04-13, the Coast Guard warned boaters that the Seachoice Products LED Classic Navigation Light SCP #03201 should not be used on any vessel in an effort to meet the navigation rules.

Although advertised as a “masthead” or “navigation light,” the Seachoice product SCP 03201 with an arc of 180 degrees visibility is not applicable to any lighting requirement, the Coast Guard stated. Masthead lighting requires an arc of 225 degrees visibility and stern lighting requires an arc of 135 degrees visibility, for a total range of 360 degrees. Depending on type or size of vessel there are also range of visibility requirements.

The Coast Guard “strongly recommends” that owners or operators of any vessel -- commercial or recreational -- who have installed this particular Seachoice product (#03201 only) as a masthead, stern or other type of navigation light remove it and replace it with a proper light that meets the requirements for the vessel and application.

Recreational boaters who have questions should contact the Coast Guard Auxiliary. Commercial vessel owner/operators who have questions should contact the Coast Guard Sector or Marine Safety Unit, the Coast Guard stated.

The alert (04-13) is posted on the Coast Guard website: marineinvestigations.us. - See more at: http://www.thelog.com/Newsletter/Ar...rs-of-Improper-Nav-Light#sthash.zbfms91N.dpuf

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Thanks !

I should replace my mast light with a better LED version while the mast is still down. We can't sail our lake so might as well get some projects done to her.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
I've seen this before, and can't understand how the manufacturer can market such a light as a masthead light when it doesn't fit the technical requirements. By a lot. It's not like this is some arcane requirement (horizontal sweep angle, and rate of diminishment beyond that) that only folks 'in the know' would have access to.

I should replace my mast light with a better LED version while the mast is still down. We can't sail our lake so might as well get some projects done to her.
Why bother with LED on the masthead light? It's only on when under engine power, at which point you have battery charging going on. The others, plus anchor light, can/will be burning with no engine, but the masthead is the one that's only used with the engine. Not trying to be difficult; just wondering is all. :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Why bother with LED on the masthead light? It's only on when under engine power, at which point you have battery charging going on. The others, plus anchor light, can/will be burning with no engine, but the masthead is the one that's only used with the engine. Not trying to be difficult; just wondering is all. :)
Actually, I don't have a generator. Just a simple pull start motor. I'm on battery anytime we're away from the docks

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
Actually, I don't have a generator. Just a simple pull start motor. I'm on battery anytime we're away from the docks
Well, then, I would suggest you look into an LED masthead light. :doh:

[Rosanne Rosannadanna voice]Never mind.[/RRv]

:D

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Under power you can also run an "all around" light so if you have an 'all around' anchor light it can serve two purposes if you want. That is what we do with a 2 watt...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-23.html

...LED anchor/running light. Run the bow lights under power or sail. The all around under power with the stern light off and turn the all around off and the stern on under sail.

We try to be on anchor by dark and yes we usually have other lights down near deck level below the anchor light at the top of the mast.,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I was gonna say the same. Most smaller boats that get power from an outboard dont get electrical power from that motor, so it's all battery power for us. So far I've upgraded every light on my boat except the stern light to LED, partially for energy savings and partially because I seem to always have contact problems with the bulb sockets. Even with new bulbs and freshly rebuilt sockets they haven't been terribly reliable for me. I recently changed my original mast light (which would also not meet these requirements) for an all round masthead light and plan to use it the same way Sumner described.

There are some other discussions on this board about this USCG warning and it made me think about the stock lights on my boat. The original mast light on my Mac25 was simply a hole in the front of the mast with a socket for a bulb inserted and a clear lens over it. This would have provided 180* of coverage at best, the same as this LED that's being warned against. Seems the aftermarket isn't the only one cutting corners.

Sep 5, 2007
MacGregor 26X Rochester
Under power you can also run an "all around" light so if you have an 'all around' anchor light it can server two purposes if you want.
My boat came (from the PO) with a Perko socket in the stern coaming for a running all-round light-on-a-stick, with the circuit labeled 'anchor light'. It was too low to get over the bimini, so I cut it shorter and use it for a flag staff, with a light on it for illuminating the cockpit.

I now use a 54" light-on-a-stick as the only white light when motoring without the mast. It's higher than the bimini, and USCG 'approved' for 2 mile visibility, and does double-duty as an anchor light. I pull the bulb in the stern light when doing this, but will put it on it's own switch when I replace the panel (project is in process).

I hang a light from the rigging for anchoring when the mast is up, and the standard boat lighting is all in play when sailing or motoring then, too; bicolor sidelights, masthead (steaming) light halfway up the mast, and stern light.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Maybe it's been said, just differently but your anchor light on top of your mast is a legal light for our boats. It serves the stern light and steaming light purpose but is no harm when under sail either.

I know the spirit if this post was to warn of cheap off shore parts not meeting USCG requirements and that's a shame. Bought online its buyer beware, I don't think WM or any other marine store would present that as legal. They know the rules.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
... It serves the stern light and steaming light purpose but is no harm when under sail either. ....
I personally wouldn't use the top of the mast light under sail. One purpose of the different light configurations is so that one can identify the type of boat at night that is in view. If you have the top of the mast on under sail other boats can assume you are a power boat and won't give you the right of way that you are due as a sailboat. Likewise if one ran their running lights on anchor someone might assume that they were underway and not anchored.

Here is a link to identifying different boats at night...

http://www.boatsafe.com/flash/reviewlights.html

... it doesn't cover all of the different combinations, but a number,
Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I personally wouldn't use the top of the mast light under sail. One purpose of the different light configurations is so that one can identify the type of boat at night that is in view. If you have the top of the mast on under sail other boats can assume you are a power boat and won't give you the right of way that you are due as a sailboat. Likewise if one ran their running lights on anchor someone might assume that they were underway and not anchored.

Here is a link to identifying different boats at night...

http://www.boatsafe.com/flash/reviewlights.html

... it doesn't cover all of the different combinations, but a number,
Sum
I agree that the light patterns are designated in such a way as to better identify the type of vessel coming thru the fog/night

But just to play devils advocate;), I will point out, an oncoming boat probably wont be able to see the stern light anyway (unless they are approaching from rearward).... and any skipper that isnt willing to give the right away when it becomes apparent there is an issue with the boat ahead of him, or just out of simple courtesy, probably doesnt care what kind of a boat is in his path anyway....and may continue to bear down:cussing:
and although, what i think makes no difference to the regulations, if i were to see a white masthead light 20-50 feet above the red/green nav lights, i would strongly assume its a sail boat that isnt moving too fast and take the proper precautions to insure there are no tense moments.....

I like and use the masthead light at night because in addition to being legal here, it illuminates the windex.... the stern light is not used but it works just in case of any hard nosed, bull headed officers during an equipment inspection:D....

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Thing is there is a difference between a sail boat under power, and a sail boat under sail. If a person who knows what the lights mean (and anyone piloting a vessel should) saw a mast head light many feet above a red/green bow light they would rightfully assume that it's a sail boat under power and that it has the ability to easily alter course and may treat you as such. If you are under sail and cannot easily alter your course this could lead to a sticky situation. It's unlikely, but very possible. This is why there are different light requirements for boats under sail, and boats under power. It's not about speed, it's about maneuverability.

I have my boat wired much the same as yours, but I never sail at night. Around here the wind dies right before sunset, so anything in the dark is under motor. If I were to sail at night I could easily go up on deck and unplug the masthead light though.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
It looks like the OEM wiring on the Macs is correct if used properly. Running lights and masthead are on separate circuits. I would have put them on the same circuit and used switches but that costs more.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
I wouldn't either, I'm simply saying its legal. I have a stern light, steaming light, anchor light and running lights. Of course the wiring to the mast is set up that I plug in to the deck either the steaming or anchor light.

Status
Not open for further replies.