Bad Cylinders?

DJN51

Oct 26, 2009
Hunter 23.5 East Chicago In
Has anyone had problem with the gas cylinders on inflatable lifevest ,2 of mine inflated in boat this last week,Chicago area has had very high temps and humidity but never had this problem before ,Just put new cylinders on both this year.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Were they automatic life vests? Manually operated vests won't do that.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
yes

the pills dissolve after a while

good idea to replace them annually and store them inside a climate controlled space

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Suggest calling the manufacturer and in the future may I suggest trying to give as much info as possible with photo or photos. You would get more folks answering on this subject under All Sailors but with the 23.5 here on this forum.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Had same occur last summer after weighing cylinder and replacing bobbin on auto inflating vest. Best to store in climate controlled space. I now keep my AC on dehumidify mode.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Suggest calling the manufacturer
What are you talking about? Despite the OP's apparent ignorance of these mechanisms, and lack of technical curiosity, it's clear what happened; the "pills" that detect moisture for automatic deployment dissolved due to a humid environment. Replace the pill, replace the cartridge, keep on manual mode until automatic is necessary; and before going auto, check the pill!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First I am not familiar with that and if it were me, I would have looked on line first or called the manufacturer which in this case there is no manufacturer or model information provided. Not sure if all vests like that are the same. If no help, I would come to the forum and would have posted on All Sailors as there are more familiar with those style vests vs. small Hunter boats. So that is my approach if it were me. So often I respond and ask for addl. information along with photos to give a more definite response. So my response I felt appropriate.