Backyard boat lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Bingo! That's what I needed to know. Thanks, TimeBandit! :)

(And many thanks to everyone who took the time to offer input in this thread. You guys rock! :dance:)

To be honest, I'm a little surprised to hear I can position a lateral support as far back as the transom (as on Sumner's boat) and not break the hull. That's good news, though, as it will make it easier to paint the bottom with a minimum of support repositioning.

I was thinking of a bit aft and forward of the keel slot. The locations I was considering are about the same as TimeBandit recommends for the amidships and forward support.

This information really helps me a lot. Many, many thanks to all.

VBR,

Pat

Aug 28, 2009
MacGregor 26D BC
What I need is pictures showing the safest and strongest points under the hull to place the wooden supports.

Can I get some more pictures of the positioning of wooden supports of Mac boats removed from trailers for servicing, bottom painting, and the like?

Many mahalos! :)Copy of IMG_1500.jpg

Copy of IMG_1503.jpg

Copy of IMG_1514.jpg

Copy of IMG_1523.jpg

Copy of IMG_1525.jpg

VBR,
Pat [/quote]

Pat see attached. TB's postioning will be correct for your model of boat. Mine is 1990 26D. These supports were made out of old 2x6 fence rails and a couple new 2x4's for bracing. Tools were a small chain saw and house deck screws. Don't use nails. Note my use of old tires and my wife hasn't yet noticed the carpet missing from under the chesterfiled (sofa?) for the bunks.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Outasight! Thanks Mic, TB, Sum, and everybody else. This really helps.

For those who don't know: I'm trying to save a blistered 78 Mac 22; doing the repair while the boat's still on the trailer; but I'll need to get it on supports to (1) rebuild the bunks on the trailer, and (2) do a passable job of the epoxy barrier coat primer and ablative bottom paint.

I've been thinking of building lateral bunks like yours because that will make it easy to paint the undersides: paint the area where the supports will go while the boat is still on the trailer; and then set it on the supports to paint the rest of it.

What's been hanging me up is a total lack of confidence about where to place the supports. Honestly, I've been afraid that I'd set her down and hear that sickening "crunch" that always means you've totally ruined something either expensive or irreplacable. :eek:

But with the info and images I've seen here, my confidence is restored. :dance: I do believe I can do it.

I'll be sure to take some pics of the job and either post them on an accessible site online, or upload a few of them here, just for grins. :D

(BTW, Mic: your hull looks great.)

Got the next two days off and hope to get the final blister prep and repair finished, and then I'll start building supports and such. Thanks again, guys!

VBR,

Pat

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Remember to support the keel on it's own so that the hull does not bear any of the weight.

Aug 15, 2010
MacGregor 22 Hilo
Remember to support the keel on it's own so that the hull does not bear any of the weight.
Roger that, TB. I'm planning on having the keel up in the boat, supported by the winch cable, with a short 2X4 strut giving added support to the winch, when I lift the boat off the trailer. Sound doable?

Once I get the boat on the supports, the very next step is to remove the keel for servicing.

VBR,

Pat

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Sounds doable, at least lower the keel to the ground using the cable as soon as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.