Backward motion

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Like a post upthread, I used a very long (60' or so) spring line to back my A4 powered C-30 out of my slip. Walk was to port, ~2:1 reduction in reverse, had to back up to stbd. Really tough to do with just the motor and rudder (took too long to get way on). Long poly line from the stern cleat around the rear stbd dock cleat and back to me. Played it out and turned the boat as desired. drop it and retrieve from the fixed end on the stern cleat.

The 387 has pretty decent handling in reverse, a bit of port walk, but now my slip I leave by backing to port. Biggest problem I have now is I just can't get the boat all the way parallel to the fairway coming out - the slips 'across' are too close. So it's lots of throttle and looking at eh boat I'm gonna bash into and get the pivot going. I could back and fill if necessary, but wind would push me back towards my row of slips.
Being pretty aggressive with getting way on, and ensuring to not stall the rudder have been the way it's been going well lately.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Sometimes this will help: Prop walk begins immediately in reverse and ends when the boat start making way and you can steer with the rudder. This assumes that your dock is on the starboard side of your boat and you have prop walk to port. Loop a dock line attached to your starboard stern cleat over the rear facing horn on the dock cleat. Hold the dock line bitter end tight and throttle up in reverse. Within about two feet of reverse travel The line will slip off the dock cleat, having prevented any movement to port and you should have enough way established to steer. I do this often.