Backstay mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Hand

I have continued work on the 78 22' that I picked up at the end of last season. The problem that I am currently addressing it the dinky little T plate that the backstay is mounted to. It was mounted with two ss bolts with no backing. The bolt heads have nearly worn their way through the fiberglass and the plate is very loose. Is the little T plate im looking at the way is was originally? It seems hard for me to believe as the boom is also attached to the backstay. I am considering attaching a chain plate directly to the transom. I would appreciate any feedback form anyone else that has addressed this issue.

J

John, "shoestring"

backstay

Jim, It sounds like the tension was too loose on the backstay for a long time, and the mast flopping back and forth loosened up that fixture. You may want to check the forestay attatchment also. I have not had this problem on my 78 22, but if it were me, I would cut the old screws off and pre- drill a piece of oak to match the fixture, and glue and seal it up inside the transom. It sounds like a two-man job.Access isn't easy, but if you refer to Mike Ruth's posting in "ask an o'day owner" "Arrg, where is this water coming from?" it describes access options.I needed to get inside there for water leak repairs. PS- I love my 78 O'Day 22!

S

Stu Timm

Backstay Option

Hi Jim, You can create a quick traveler / mainsheet tackle rig by running a 3/8" to 1/2" line between the cleats on the transom leaving slack in the line to clear the tiller arm. You then connect the tackle at the end of the boom to the line via a block of sorts that allows the mainsheet block to travel. This will transfer the load of the boom to the deck in two places (strong ones at that). The down side is that the rear cleats are tied up with lines all the time making using them a tad tricky. The plus is that by fixing one end of the "rope" traveler to one cleat, and knoting the other end of the rope to the other cleat, you can adjust the rise of the traveler for tight reaches (full tension on the traveler rope) and light air runs (slack on the traveler rope. I use a typical cleat hitch on the free end of my rope traveler that I can untie in a flash while under sail. I'm a former racing dinghy sailer and I had a rope traveler on my old boat that worked nicely once you get used to it. The backstay attachment of the main sheet was (some of us think) a poor man's backstay adjuster. It is reckoned that as the load on the main increased, the pull of the tackle on the backstay tensioned the backstay, forcing the mast to rake slightly aft, thus altering the center of effort on the sails. O'Day probably used that explanation to sell boats, but in reality, it's a quick solution for a trailerable daysailer. I would do relish the idea of trying to get my hands behind the fiberglass of the transom near the gunwhale. Talk about a tough squeeze! I hope this helps! Happy Sailing, Stu Timm. "Karakahl" 1979 O'Day 22

Status
Not open for further replies.