Backstay Connection to Mast

Jul 19, 2022
Oday 23 Lake Murray
It seems the boat was rigged incorrectly the last time the mast was put up.
At the top of the mast, there is an attachment with an inside connection close to the mast, and a double connection outside at the end. Right now, the backstay is connected closest to the mast. It's a single, centered location, and that would seem logical. To me.
On the outer connection, the topping lift is connected to one side of the double spot, and that runs down to the end of the boom. But at the cockpit area, we see the backstay outside the end of the boom (and topping lift connection). They criss-cross at the very top, but I'm pretty sure this isn't right.
Does the backstay really hook to one side of the double connection at the top of the mast? Seems to me that the backstay twisting and pulling on the end of that metal extension would be less than ideal. How is a 23' set up?

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I would want the backstay to be attached the the aft most place on the mast or crane. I guess that means it would be slightly to one side or the other. But I would want the backstay aft of the topping lift for the entire length of both. Otherwise I would expect the topping lift could chafe and potentially fail.
I can't really visualize the double connection and can't comment on what untoward force would be created by a small offset.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
They criss-cross at the very top, but I'm pretty sure this isn't right.
You are correct. Just not sure of the cause. You would want to lower the mast and inspect the mast head. Looking at the image, it looks to me that there is a bit of a bend of the crane and the mast head. It may just be the camera angle.

I would want to have the topping lift inside the back stay when attached to the boom. Any other configuration will foul the backstay or the topping lift. Note that when sailing the topping lift can be removed or at the least it is loosened and the weight of the boom is transferred to the sail to maximize sail shape.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
Can you get a better picture? The topping lift should be inside the backstay, but on the O'Day 22 I've seen, the topping lift was a toggle attached to the backstay like in this picture. Could yours be a modification or adaptation to put the topping lift at the masthead?
2701fe6c0a5f1badbf2ca4584bef0658-3959602262.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Can you get a better picture? The topping lift should be inside the backstay, but on the O'Day 22 I've seen, the topping lift was a toggle attached to the backstay like in this picture. Could yours be a modification or adaptation to put the topping lift at the masthead?
View attachment 223632
That is NOT at boom topping lift. It's most common name is "the boom pigtail". It's purpose is to secure the boom when the boat is parked and the mainsail is doused. The only time you should consider using the pigtail is for NON sailing activity. A topping lift, however, has a function while a boat is sailing. That is to support the boom end, especially in light air, to keep the boom's weight from affecting sail shape. However, it is not technically considered a trim control. Before the advent of rigid vangs and boom kickers it was a common part of the mainsail rigging, but the ever increasing popularity of large roach mainsails (especially those equipped with all full-length battens) has put them into the sailor's PIA category. Even the various adjustments systems ( and there are many) don't seem to overcome their annoyance. I can honestly say that one of the great joys in having a rigid vang is to NEVER have to fool with the topping lift again.

Just to re clarify. the boom topping lift should be able to stay attached to the boom as it moves through it's purposeful arc. So by necessity it should be pinned to the masthead to allow that companionship motion. (i.e. inside the backstay) The pigtail is a stationary boom support device, not intended to be used while the mainsail is deployed.

Finally, I'm not familiar with the Oday 23, but it is not uncommon to see TWIN BACKSTAYS on vessels. Just a thought.

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
View attachment 223632
O'DAY 23 had an actual Topping lift running to masthead, stock from Factory.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Backstay needs to be out at end of mast crane/masthead to better clear the leach of the sail, you do not want the head of the sail chafing on the backstay.
I have a copy of the O'DAY supplied Rigging sheet for the 23 and it sounds like you are missing a toggle on the backstay. I am posting the picture from the Rigging Sheet of the masthead, backstay has a toggle that centers the backstay, topping lift appears to connect just inside of that and halyard will be running over sheaves in masthead and down forward side of mast, with shackle on aft side of mast.

I attached the original Rigging sheet below, I have been working on an expanded version of this, similar to what I have done with the Widgeon and DS II.

Attachments

Jul 19, 2022
Oday 23 Lake Murray
The eye of my topping lift is now connected directly to the pin at the masthead. The picture shows a missing clip that turns two spots into one. I guess that solves that mystery. Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Wow those pics are confusing. One pick looks like it has twin backstays.. perhaps the problem is with the artwork... the mainsheet is attached to the single backstay in another pic, there being no traveler. Here's my suggestion. Invest in a rigid vang such as the affordable units fro Garhauer marine, or a Rod Kicker, which uses the original soft vang hardware integrated with a couple of fiber rods to support the boom. You can increase the clearance between roach and topping lift by reducing the sail's hoist by a few inches. Take up the slack with the cunningham (or mainsail downhaul.)

Jul 19, 2022
Oday 23 Lake Murray
We're rebuilding the docks next month, so I'll have to trailer the boat and that will give me a chance to re-rig everything. I believe the "clip" (highlighted in red) is the same connection hardware piece as what was used by the original shrouds at the chainplate. So now I'm just waiting until I'm forced to take it out of the water. But until then, I'm sailing like I don't know any better.