Backed up toilet problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Henry Rozanski

I had a frustrating toilet back-up problem I finally resolved which may be of help to other boaters. I had an elctric head which was backing up, causing me a big problem. I replaced the joker valve in the outlet port but it had no effect on the problem. I was afraid my tank was full and not emptying but a clothes hanger showed it to be pretty empty. I was afraid my vent line was plugged, but my dinghy pump showed that was not an issue. I finally tried blowing air through the exhaust line from the head to find it was good and plugged. I used a water hose from the dock at full pressure which quickly blasted out the plug and allowed me to flush several gallons of water into the holding tank to open the exhaust line - problem solved. I must admit I also installed a new macerator pump during this process of elmination -but the boat was probably ready for a new one anyhow. Hope this story helps others who eventually notice their head not flushing correctly, even though the holding tank isn't full.

B

bob

thanks....am having a similiar problem

i have a raritan elec crown head II...i'll try your solution

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

You got lucky-and prob'ly only partly solved your

problem, 'cuz blasting a clog out of the head discharge hose with water usually doesn't work (makes a big mess though)...it depends upon what's in the hose. Since it's unlikely that anything which can clog the hose can make it through the toilet's macerator, if you flush with sea water the problem is likely to be a buildup of sea water calcium carbonates and urine crystals in the hose...I've seen 'em reduce the diameter of a 1.5" hose to less than half an inch in just a year or two. As they build up in the hose, they also create a rough surface that traps bits of solids and paper...and that's about all you're likely to blast out with water. You need to dissolve the crystals completely clear the hose, and then prevent 'em from building up in the future. If it's really blocked, the quickest way to clear it is with a 12% solution of muriatic acid--which you can buy at any hardware store--and water. It won't hurt the toilet or the plumbing, but it is acid, so follow the directions for mixing to the letter and wear rubber gloves. Undiluted white vinegar takes longer, but it's a lot safer to handle. Both need to stand in the hose, and either one may take repeated applications to completely clean out the hose. Once you've cleaned out the hose, you want to prevent the problem from recurring. Part of the problem is caused by incomplete flushing...quitting as soon as the bowl is empty. When you stop pumping or take your finger off the button, whatever is in the hose stops moving right there...till the next flush moves it a little further...and the next...till a flush finally pushes the first one into the tank. Not only does that contribute to buildup in the hose, but waste left standing in a hose permeates it with odor. So flush the toilet long enough, especially after solids, to move the bowl contents all the way to the tank. Once a week, when it has time to stand in the hose for at least several hours, flush a cup or two of undiluted white vinegar down the toilet. And I think you might find the article "Flush With Success" in the HM forum Reference Library useful too.

H

Henry Rozanski

Acid and KO treatment - compatible??

The advice of using Muriatic Acid 12% and White Vinegar are very helpful. But, I'm currently using KO treatment due to a nuisance odor problem. KO says don't use any other chemicals. Will I end the effectiveness of KO using these suggestions?

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

Yes, Henry.muriatic acid will interfere with K.O.-

But--you don't just add it to the tank and forget it,...you have to flush it all out after it's done its job. Then you retreat with K.O. However, you should thoroughly rinse out your holding tank every 3rd or 4th pumpout anyway. If you opt to clean out the head discharge with white vinegar instead of muriatic acid, you'll prob'ly end up putting a couple of gallons down the toilet every day or so over a week or more before it manages to dissolve all the buildup in the hose. Since 90% of it will prob'ly remain the hose till it is clear, you don't have to worry about odor in the tank till you get the job done. But again, flush it all out of the tank...something you should be doing regularly anyway. Or maybe your best approach would be to just replace the hose from the head to the tank, and then use white vinegar to prevent the problem in the future. A cupful or two down the head once a week isn't enough to upset the balance in the tank. Just don't decide that if a little is good, a lot is better.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Flush the vent and tank after every pumpout!

I have gotten into the habit of rinsing the vent hose every time we pump the holding tank. We have a lot of spider, mud daubers etc in our area and the love to build nests in these vent hoses. We also flush out the holding tank with fresh water with each pumpout too. When we fill the water tank we also let the water run out of the vent hose for a minute or so to flush that vent too.

Status
Not open for further replies.