Back to the basics

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My head leaked the first time it was used. Without hesitation I tossed in the dumpster. I picked up a Dometic SaniPottie 975MSD along with some Saniflex hose. Upon installation I noticed the following:

• The porta potti has a 90 degree fitting coming off the back for pump out which would require another large hole in the boat to accomodate the hose. Dometic's website is terrible. I can't even find a manual much less additional parts. Without this 90 fitting the position and angle look like they'd work well. Are additional parts like this made for these toilets? Can I attach the flexible hose without this fitting? The last option would be to add another 90 degree fitting and drill another hole in the boat
  • The existing vent hose is a couple inches too short. It looks like it's 5/8". Can anyone confirm this as an industry standard size? Is there a type of hose specifically designed for this application?
  • My existing pump out port uses a much smaller diameter hose so it needs to be replaced. Please let me know if I understand this correctly - Different deck ports use different size threads. It's the boater's responsibility to supply an adapter with proper threads on one and and camlock on the other?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
For all matters head related, get Peggie Hall's Book @Peggie Hall HeadMistress is the goto to person for marine sanitation.

The existing vent hose is a couple inches too short. It looks like it's 5/8". Can anyone confirm this as an industry standard size? Is there a type of hose specifically designed for this application?
I don't think there is an industry standard. Hoses on larger boats with holding tanks are often ½".

• My existing pump out port uses a much smaller diameter hose so it needs to be replaced. Please let me know if I understand this correctly - Different deck ports use different size threads. It's the boater's responsibility to supply an adapter with proper threads on one and and camlock on the other?
Most pump outs are 1.5" some may be 1.25" and it depends on the local pumpout. At my marina the hose does not screw in, it is simply a rubber flange that fits inside the deck fitting. Something like this: pumpout-nozzle-with-splash-guard-male-quick-clamp-1-5-272qc-150-sg

If you need to provide your own, McMaster-Carr sells the fittings, they are pretty inexpensive. McMaster-Carr

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
The porta potti has a 90 degree fitting coming off the back for pump out which would require another large hole in the boat to accomodate the hose. Dometic's website is terrible. I can't even find a manual much less additional parts. Without this 90 fitting the position and angle look like they'd work well. Are additional parts like this made for these toilets? Can I attach the flexible hose without this fitting? The last option would be to add another 90 degree fitting and drill another hole in the boat.

I don't think Dometic wants anyone to find anything on their website any more...they're funneling people to their regional "authorized service centers" but without any guidance to find the nearest one. I've given up on it.

You should be able to find a straight thread-barb fitting at any marine retailer. I'm assuming there's already a pumpout fitting installed in the boat...if not, you'll need to install one.

The existing vent hose is a couple inches too short. It looks like it's 5/8". Can anyone confirm this as an industry standard size? Is there a type of hose specifically designed for this application?

The vent line isn't typically included with the potty...you have to buy that hose. 5/8" is the industry standard size for ALL tank vent lines--water, fuel and waste including MSD portapotties. Shields or Trident #148 flex pvc--available from any marine retailer that sells hose--is ok for vent lines.

My existing pump out port uses a much smaller diameter hose so it needs to be replaced.

That's interesting 'cuz pumpout fittings have been standardized at 1.5" for the hose barb and 1.25" threaded port for decades. And the threads have been 11 TPI since the mid '80s. If you really do need to replace it, stainless steel deck fill and pumpout fittings are inexpensive...just be sure to get one that has "waste" stamped in flange.

It's the boater's responsibility to supply an adapter with proper threads on one and and camlock on the other?
Yep, but they're "one size fits all."

--Peggie

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
don't think Dometic wants anyone to find anything on their website any more...they're funneling people to their regional "authorized service centers" but without any guidance to find the nearest one. I've given up on it.
I finally got a chance to call them. They said there is no straight fitting for this toilet and that I'd need to resort to adding a 90 degree fitting. I could see them trying to steer people towards service centers for a standard marine sanitation system but for a portapottie thats geared towards consumers it doesnt make sense

My existing pump out port uses a much smaller diameter hose so it needs to be replaced.

That's interesting 'cuz pumpout fittings have been standardized at 1.5" for the hose barb and 1.25" threaded port for decades. And the threads have been 11 TPI since the mid '80s. If you really do need to replace it, stainless steel deck fill and pumpout fittings are inexpensive...just be sure to get one that has "waste" stamped in flange.
Im the guy with the poop shooter :poop: It has a 1 or 1.25" fitting on the back of it. I connected the hose to the Y-Valve until I get a new deck port

It's the boater's responsibility to supply an adapter with proper threads on one and and camlock on the other?
Yep, but they're "one size fits all."
Thanks! That little piece of advise explains a lot

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Im the guy with the poop shooter :poop: It has a 1 or 1.25" fitting on the back of it. I connected the hose to the Y-Valve until I get a new deck port
Aha! But I THINK that one of the ports is 1"--the size of the discharge on the macerator...and the other one--the pumpout port--is the standard 1.25" size. It wouldn't fit any of the pumpout equipment connectors otherwise. However, with only photos to base that on, I can't be 100% sure of that though.. I'd replace it anyway unless it's too far from the head to be a viable hose run to it. If you do have to install a new one, I'd keep the poop shooter as a conversation piece 'cuz it's definitely a "collector" item.

And btw...thanks again for the photo...it's excellent quality!

--Peggie

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Aha! But I THINK that one of the ports is 1"--the size of the discharge on the macerator...and the other one--the pumpout port--is the standard 1.25" size. It wouldn't fit any of the pumpout equipment connectors otherwise. However, with only photos to base that on, I can't be 100% sure of that though.. I'd replace it anyway unless it's too far from the head to be a viable hose run to it. If you do have to install a new one, I'd keep the poop shooter as a conversation piece 'cuz it's definitely a "collector" item.

And btw...thanks again for the photo...it's excellent quality!

--Peggie
I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I remember the hose from the y-valve to the deck port was smaller than 1.5. If you want the deck port as a collectors item I would be happy to send it to you

Project_Mayhem
I'm exploring this option also and found this (Dometic SaniPottie 975MSD - Google Search) in Defender's listing for the SaniPottie under "Click Here for a Data Sheet for this Product".
Good to know about the discharge elbow issue and the vent line, I'd have to modify the hanging locker in the head to route the hoses through it, I was hoping it would save me the work of rebuilding the head. I may have to order one and see how much work it would be.
Good find! I was going a big crazy searching their site!

As for the elbow, i
t all depends on where the holes are in your hanging locker. Mine are on the right side as is the discharge elbow. The only problem is that the elbow is too close to back of the toilet. Even if I managed to make it work I'm afraid I might lose access to the backside. I suppose one could always disconnect the toilet from the floor brackets if access is needed. I can take a few pics for you this weekend if you'd like. Defender has the 975 MSD model on sale for $115 right now.

For anyone else that's interested, I did not see a template for the floor brackets. I screwed the front bracket in first because there isn't even room to mark a location with a pencil. Then I put some VHB on the bottom of the rear brackets and some Scotch tape to hold the brackets on to the toilet. I then lined up the toilet with the front bracket and lowered the rear. The VHB is now holding the rear brackets to the floor in the proper locations. Remove the front bracket handle and carefully remove the toilet. You'll now have access to screw down the rear brackets. If you screw up it's not a big deal since the brackets have slots for the screw holes

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Thanks @Project_Mayhem, at this point I'll have to wait till spring. It might also be one of those things where I have to get it and see how it fits and send it back if it doesn't. I have to figure out the vent thing also, the original tank in my boat is under the V-berth and vents at the bow. Good luck with it.