Back to getting a Beneteau

Apr 16, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 321 Campbell River
Greetings from Vancouver Island here in British Columbia, Canada.
After selling my Oceanis 32.1 and brooding for 8 months, I'm back looking to get an Oceanis 38 - 47, somewhere in there, used or failing that, new. Some questions for the gang here.
  • Beyond Yachtworld and Boats.com, are there other places where Beneteau owners/sellings put the boats up for sale or between those two sites, I'll see em all.
  • I'm told the 38.1 is no longer being made and can't be ordered new, yet I see 2021 "call for pricing" ads in Europe. Is that model only in Europe?
  • On this block of boats, the transom in the back drops down for a really sweet platform. I'm wondering about dinghy davits and how they would or wouldn't interfere with that transom.
  • Do owners find the dual wheels to be a material improvement for sailing or is a single wheel in the center (which is all I've ever known) good enough.
  • Bow thrusters. I'm told the newer versions of the boats have them integrated as part of the hull mold and that if you elect not to have it, you have plugs that go into the hull. Does anyone have experience with Bow thrusters on these boats? I've been jealous of people with Bow thrusters every since a dock and I got into a debate on coming into port. I lost. No damage, damn lucky.
  • Lastly, the notion of value. It seems to me the sweet spot of value for the dollar is the 41 vs the 38 vs. jumping to the 44 and beyond. Comments would be greatly appreciated.
I had the 321 for over 20 years and a few things have changed except my love for Beneteau and sailing.

Stay safe, all.

Rick

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I might be biased but I’ll add a recommendation to add the 37 to your list. The 38.1 is only a few inches longer in actual LOA, and having looked at it at boat shows it feels smaller than the 37 inside. (Though the 38.1 did feel better than the 38.). The 37 also has a traditional prop shaft, avoiding the maintenance issues associated with a sail drive. The 37 doesn’t have the fold down swim platform but does have an adequate fixed platform.

Bow thrusters. I'm told the newer versions of the boats have them integrated as part of the hull mold and that if you elect not to have it, you have plugs that go into the hull. Does anyone have experience with Bow thrusters on these boats? I've been jealous of people with Bow thrusters every since a dock and I got into a debate on coming into port. I lost. No damage, damn lucky.
I’m very happy to have a bow thruster on the 37. You’ll hear some argue that it’s not needed, but I think it’s a very valuable tool in some spots. After 7 seasons ours is running fine and has needed no maintenance other than replacing zincs.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
  • On this block of boats, the transom in the back drops down for a really sweet platform. I'm wondering about dinghy davits and how they would or wouldn't interfere with that transom. Newer Beneteau's can come with retractable davits built in............that is what I would opt for.
  • Bow thrusters. I'm told the newer versions of the boats have them integrated as part of the hull mold and that if you elect not to have it, you have plugs that go into the hull. Does anyone have experience with Bow thrusters on these boats? I've been jealous of people with Bow thrusters every since a dock and I got into a debate on coming into port. I lost. No damage, damn lucky. Pretty common on sailboats over 45 feet like my Hunter 46.
  • Lastly, the notion of value. It seems to me the sweet spot of value for the dollar is the 41 vs the 38 vs. jumping to the 44 and beyond. Comments would be greatly appreciated. Buy what you like...........the longer the sailboat the more waterline and heavier for a smoother and faster sail and greater the overall comfort.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
In the more modern Benes the dual wheels are part of hull which maintains the beam all the way to the transom (or nearly so). I find the open cockpit a vast improvement over more traditional arrangements. Lots of room, choice of which side to steer from, ease of moving about the cockpit, etc. The boats usually also have dual rudders which I now greatly prefer.

OTOH, yes, buy what you like.....

Feb 19, 2020
Beneteau Oceanis 38 Newport R I
With a sail drive and twin rudders you will use the bow thruster all the time docking. The swim platform is very nice on my 2016 Beneteau 38.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Greetings from Vancouver Island here in British Columbia, Canada.
After selling my Oceanis 32.1 and brooding for 8 months, I'm back looking to get an Oceanis 38 - 47, somewhere in there, used or failing that, new. Some questions for the gang here.
  • Beyond Yachtworld and Boats.com, are there other places where Beneteau owners/sellings put the boats up for sale or between those two sites, I'll see em all.
  • I'm told the 38.1 is no longer being made and can't be ordered new, yet I see 2021 "call for pricing" ads in Europe. Is that model only in Europe?
  • On this block of boats, the transom in the back drops down for a really sweet platform. I'm wondering about dinghy davits and how they would or wouldn't interfere with that transom.
  • Do owners find the dual wheels to be a material improvement for sailing or is a single wheel in the center (which is all I've ever known) good enough.
  • Bow thrusters. I'm told the newer versions of the boats have them integrated as part of the hull mold and that if you elect not to have it, you have plugs that go into the hull. Does anyone have experience with Bow thrusters on these boats? I've been jealous of people with Bow thrusters every since a dock and I got into a debate on coming into port. I lost. No damage, damn lucky.
  • Lastly, the notion of value. It seems to me the sweet spot of value for the dollar is the 41 vs the 38 vs. jumping to the 44 and beyond. Comments would be greatly appreciated.
I had the 321 for over 20 years and a few things have changed except my love for Beneteau and sailing.

Stay safe, all.

Rick
Hi Rick,
We also had our 321 for over 20 years and loved it. We traded it last year for a Jeanneau 389. Bow thruster is glorious for docking and not much maintenance other than new zinc (or magnesium).
We have the full transom which has been really nice.
Twin rudders gives much better control when heeling.
Hope to have the 389 for at least 20 years!
Chris

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Chris,
Didn’t hear that you had a new boat.
I have been kind of skeptical about the sail drive, anything you don’t like about it?

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Chris,
Didn’t hear that you had a new boat.
I have been kind of skeptical about the sail drive, anything you don’t like about it?
Hi Doug,

We are very happy with the Jeanneau 389. similar to the Beneteau 38, but we have a great Jeanneau dealer 10 min away who I have known for decades. Beneteau dealer is one hour + away.

I was not sure if I would like the twin rudders and saildrive but I do. No shaft seal or dripless coupling like on our Beneteau 321.

I also have a code 0 which didn't even know what kind of sail that was until I could see it available.

We have a real fridge with a freezer that works well. Top loading and also a door at the bottom. It is just huge for plain water, sparkling water, white wine, etc.

I thought i would be wanting a bigger boat, but after hand waxing this spring, this 389 is big enough!

Chris