BACK TO ALTERNATOR BELT PROBLEMS

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
really if you have problem like mine watever belt you are using is the same, i had every brand in my engine.
The problem is only partly the 1/2” belt, the other half is the load you are placing on an alternator not designed nor intended for that type of demand. Your bank is grossly oversized for your stock alternator to cope with, without issues..

Rx:

Serpentine Kit
Performance small frame alternator - eg: Balmar 6-series
Balmar MC-614 regulator & alt temp sensor
Set belt load manager to level 4 or greater

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
do you know if there is a serpentine belt kit without the balmar alt included ?
A charging system is all about balance
If you put in more batteries, you need a way to charge them; not with just the alternator. Your shore power charger must also be properly rated.
The stock 80 amp alternators are good for about 250 AH of battery in order to fully charge in a short time.
Plus, they aren’t intelkegentiy regulated.
Larger battery loads take more power from the alternator. That’s why your belts are seeing such high physical wear

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The demise of the alternator will not come from damaged bearings once you install a serpentine belt, it will come from heat by being overworked to charge such a large bank.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The problem is only partly the 1/2” belt, the other half is the load you are placing on an alternator not designed nor intended for that type of demand. Your bank is grossly oversized for your stock alternator to cope with, without issues..

Rx:

Serpentine Kit
Performance small frame alternator - eg: Balmar 6-series
Balmar MC-614 regulator & alt temp sensor
Set belt load manager to level 4 or greater
I dont understand this.
If regulator belt management can restrict output to a safe and acceptable level and regulator can limit the amount of time at the bulk rate then what damages the alt?
Battery says I want more; reg/alt says maybe later, we're taking a nap.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I dont understand this.
If regulator belt management can restrict output to a safe and acceptable level and regulator can limit the amount of time at the bulk rate then what damages the alt?
Battery says I want more; reg/alt says maybe later, we're taking a nap.
An internal “dumb” regulator can only do so much to protect the alternator from heat damage.