Back stay and front stay, when stepping mast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 9, 2012
Help, when i step the mast on my capri 18, once the mast is in place we are about 3.5 inches away from sucering one or the other backstay or four stay.

When we use a ratchet ty-down attached to the back of the trailer and the other end attached to the back sty boom halyard and after a few clicks the rig makes a boom and loud sound like something not set, and then we are within less than a 1/4 and its easy to secure the bow plate. This seems not right to me, this is my first sailboat I don't want to hurt something would like someone's help please.

Thanks

Joe

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Is there something supporting the cabin top inside the cabin?

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
to clarify what justsomeguy said, you should have a king post in the cabin that takes the downward tension from the stays pulling the mast tight? and is it secure and tight before pulling on the mast?.. not snug but TIGHT! if not you will definitely do damage to the boat.
do you have a turnbuckle on both the forestay and the backstay? if one is missing it would account for you coming up short....

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Definitely shouldn't hear a boom! Do you have a copy of the manual with the mast raising and tuning instructions? Pretty sure there's a copy online somewhere, or I may have a pdf copy if you need it.

Check your tabernacle and make sure the bolt isn't hanging up somewhere. Make sure your shrouds aren't too tight to start, too. Make sure the forestay isn't too tight. On the Capri 22 the turnbuckle is supposed to be extended as far as you can and still get a cotter pin through to secure it. I'd be surprised if the Capri 18 wasn't the same. I have to bend the mast forward a bit, with the halyards connected to the pulpit, to pin the forestay but I don't get any boom noises. Also, check your spreaders and make sure they're properly positioned and not flopping around or something.

With my Capri 22, I raise the mast and connect the forestay before before I connect the backstay. If it was me, I'd loosen things up a bit, including the shrouds, then tune the rig according to the manual, or look for a tuning guide on Ullman Sails or North Sails websites.

Do you have dual compression posts or a single one in the middle of the companionway to the V-berth? Either way, make sure there's no soft spots in the deck, below the compression posts or below the mast.

Jul 9, 2012
I will check the inside to see about support. I forgot to mention the boat has a furler
, and no there is no turn buckle on the fuller just the connector and pin.

Jul 9, 2012
No I do not have a manual, I am the 3rd owner of this boat, but it is in great condition. This is my first sail boat WE ARE IN LOVE I wanted a Catalina boat!

Jul 9, 2012
Also thanks for all your help, it's great to be around such a terrific bunch of people who all have the same love for sailboats.

May 23, 2007
Tabernacle is the piece on the top of the boat that the mast attaches to.

The manual I have in pdf is for the Capri 16.5 we used to have; won't work for the 18. You might contact Catalina Direct or Catalina Yachts and see if they can still provide a copy. It used to be about $20.

What brand/model is your furler? If it's a Flexible Furler from CDI then you should have a turnbuckle inside and all you see is the pin end. There's a pin you pull that lets the furling unit slide up the foil so you can check/adjust the tabernacle. The manuals for the various models (ff1 & ff2) are available online. Can't speak to any other brand.

It really sounds to me like maybe your shrouds are too tight and keeping the mast from being raised all the way.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
in layman's terms what is a tabernacle
It's a HINGED mast step.... or mounting plate. It allows the mast to be raised or lowered while connected to the boat.

Jul 9, 2012
sinnettc said:
Tabernacle is the piece on the top of the boat that the mast attaches to.

The manual I have in pdf is for the Capri 16.5 we used to have; won't work for the 18. You might contact Catalina Direct or Catalina Yachts and see if they can still provide a copy. It used to be about $20.

What brand/model is your furler? If it's a Flexible Furler from CDI then you should have a turnbuckle inside and all you see is the pin end. There's a pin you pull that lets the furling unit slide up the foil so you can check/adjust the tabernacle. The manuals for the various models (ff1 & ff2) are available online. Can't speak to any other brand.

It really sounds to me like maybe your shrouds are too tight and keeping the mast from being raised all the way.
It is a CDI Flexible Furler. I have been to CDI's website and understand the mechanics of the Furler pretty well. I well be stepping the mast at home this weekend and will make some shrouds checks. I will also be checking forstay turnbuckles on the furler. Thanks for all your input at this point, I feel I will find the gremlin this weekend.

May 23, 2007
Let us know how it goes.

Where do you sail? In addition to the 2 Capri 22's (mine and a standard rig, wing keel) there are 2 or 3 Capri 18's in our marina. There's also a couple of 16's on the lake (I call 'em Mini Me's) and at least 2 other 22's in other marinas. I don't know any of the other owners though - we never seem to be out at the same time.

I did hear that the other CP22 lost their mast at the dock last weekend. My guess is that a cotter pin came out since it was already back up by Tuesday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.