Back filling toilet Gross!!

Oct 16, 2005
Catalina 30 MKIII Mantoloking Shores NJ
Hi all. We have a Jabsco head in fwd stateroom. When flushing, it growls and bubbles then back fills nastiness into the bowl. Just replaced joker valve earlier this season. Can not find a vented loop in system. The system hisses also. Lines Go to tank for pumpout or overboard through macerator.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Check holding tank vent.
Ditto.
The holding tank vents thru a lifeline stanchion near the head port. It can easily get clogged. You can try using a thin wire to unclog it but the correct way to fix it is by installing a new 1” vent line to a new above the water line thru hull.
There is relatively recent thread in this forum on the subject.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Try opening your deck pump-out cap then flush. If it flushes OK, it’s definitely a back pressure issue via the vent line.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
When flushing, it growls and bubbles then back fills nastiness into the bowl. Just replaced joker valve earlier this season. Can not find a vented loop in system. The system hisses also.
You've just described all the symptoms of a blocked holding tank vent. When air displaced by incoming waste cannot escape out the vent the tank becomes pressurized, creating increasing back pressure that prevents the toilet from flushing. That hissing is the sound of air seeking an escape wherever it can find one--through the toilet.

Do NOT use the toilet again or try to pump out or dump the tank until you've cleared the vent. Without a source of air to replace contents as they're being sucked out of the tank, the pump will pull a vacuum that'll prevent it from pulling out more than a gallon or two. A particularly strong pumpout can even implode a tank.

The two most common locations for a vent blockage are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. Start by cleaning out the thru-hull...use a screwdriver blade, ice pick--whatever works. If that doesn't result in a spew out the vent, you'll need to relieve the pressure before removing the vent line from the tank to clean them out...so open the deck pumpout fitting VERY CAREFULLY with a hose at the ready. Be sure you're UPwind of it! Scrape out that end of the vent line and the vent fitting on the tank...replace the vent line.
If there's a filter in the vent line, remove it...once a filter gets wet--which can happen when a tank is overfilled or even due to heeling--the charcoal swells and blocks the vent...one of the reasons why vent filters aren't recommended for use on most sailboats.
I'm guessing that you're fairly new at dealing with marine toilets and holding tanks. The title of my book (see link in my signature, just click on the title) The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
But open the deck fill cap VERY slowly and carefully. If the vent is clogged, the tank may be pressurized and you will receive a geyser of waste.
Sound advice at any time!

Last edited: