Baby stays Hunter 23

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
Over the past several years I have slowly perfected my mast raising system. The last thing to do is to rig baby stays to keep the mast from swaying until the shrouds tighten. Can anyone send me a description or pictures of baby stay installation on your Hunter 23?? I know that the attachment must somehow be inline with the rotation point of the mast base and I suspect there are several ways to accomplish this. So just looking for advice so as not to re-invent the wheel

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The 23 did not come with a mast raising system. May I help. Contact me by private message with name and phone number. Former dealer.

Sep 7, 2011
The 23 did not come with a mast raising system. May I help. Contact me by private message with name and phone number. Former dealer.
Dave:
I am very aware that the boat did not come with a mast raising system. What I am asking for is advice regarding how to attach baby stays. Some brands of boats have an attachment point that is near the pivot point for the mast....the H23 does not. So, something needs to be rigged...that is what I am looking for....just a simple description or a picture of what someone has done.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You are correct any attachmente points on the deck need to be aligned properly with the mast. About 6 feet long. Look at the bridle wires for the 23.5, 19and 26 to give you some idea with adjustment. T toggle or tangs (held in place by bolt thru mast for attachment to the mast. There are other methods but I will wait till others chime in on that

Sep 7, 2011
You are correct any attachmente points on the deck need to be aligned properly with the mast. About 6 feet long. Look at the bridle wires for the 23.5, 19and 26 to give you some idea with adjustment. T toggle or tangs (held in place by bolt thru mast for attachment to the mast. There are other methods but I will wait till others chime in on that
Thanks Dave...I will take a look

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I made a pair of supports from 2x4s on edge, kind of hard to describe and I don't have access right now to take photo. Each wood bit sticks up from the gunwale, and has an eye bolt at top that is the same level as the mast's hinge. There is a stainless cable across the deck that holds the wood from tilting out (keeps each support vertical). A pair of ratchet straps attach to eye bolts and stretch around hull to pull the wood things outward and downward, tightening the wire across the deck. Baby stays are a v yoke made from stainless wire. The tip of the v attaches to a chain I loop around the mast and haul up to below the spreaders with the main halyard. The two ends attach to the eye bolts atop the wood supports. After I step the mast I loosen the main halyard and pull the yoke/chain down the mast.

Sep 7, 2011
I made a pair of supports from 2x4s on edge, kind of hard to describe and I don't have access right now to take photo. Each wood bit sticks up from the gunwale, and has an eye bolt at top that is the same level as the mast's hinge. There is a stainless cable across the deck that holds the wood from tilting out (keeps each support vertical). A pair of ratchet straps attach to eye bolts and stretch around hull to pull the wood things outward and downward, tightening the wire across the deck. Baby stays are a v yoke made from stainless wire. The tip of the v attaches to a chain I loop around the mast and haul up to below the spreaders with the main halyard. The two ends attach to the eye bolts atop the wood supports. After I step the mast I loosen the main halyard and pull the yoke/chain down the mast.
Peter: Thanks for the description. I think that I understand your system.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I own the H25 and it comes with two SS struts attached to the mast and down to the deck in line with the pivot point. I know I have some bias towards this set up, but frankly I have hot seen any that are better. It really is simple and adds to lateral stability during and after raising. Here is a photo of my boat and struts. The setup really isn’t that complicated and could be built by DIY kind of guy or welding pro.
4EC3D67B-4861-4141-9583-A1B9E128EA96.jpeg

Sep 7, 2011
I own the H25 and it comes with two SS struts attached to the mast and down to the deck in line with the pivot point. I know I have some bias towards this set up, but frankly I have hot seen any that are better. It really is simple and adds to lateral stability during and after raising. Here is a photo of my boat and struts. The setup really isn’t that complicated and could be built by DIY kind of guy or welding pro. View attachment 182568
Thanks for the picture. I have actually been considering such a setup. It looks pretty easy. The only thing to figure out is the attachment at the bottom of the tubing. I have some tubing laying around that I could use. Thanks for sending.

Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the picture. I have actually been considering such a setup. It looks pretty easy. The only thing to figure out is the attachment at the bottom of the tubing. I have some tubing laying around that I could use. Thanks for sending.
I can take some detailed photos of the attached for you if you like.

Oct 31, 2012
I can take some detailed photos of the attachment bracket for you if you like.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2011
I can take some detailed photos of the attachment bracket for you if you like.
That would be very helpful...thanks! I can deal with the upper attachements but it is the lowers that I will need some help with. Thanks again.....

Oct 31, 2012
Here is my setup. Must mast if off right now due to an accident in the parking lot that bent the mast. Actually, the two struts prevented the mast from total collapse which would have caused damage to the hull and mast base bracket (another good feature of this rig) I will need to send the photos in multiple posts a they are too large to send all at once.

Attachments

Oct 31, 2012
Here are the rest of the pics. Note the top of the strut has a threaded rod for adjustments. The second pic shows how high above the mast base the struts are attached. Image 6436 shows the deck brackets alignment to the pivot pin hole on the mast base. Also, note the nylon washers on both top and bottom bolts for reduced friction.
Hope this helps and keep us posted with your final product.

Attachments

Sep 7, 2011
Here are the rest of the pics. Note the top of the strut has a threaded rod for adjustments. The second pic shows how high above the mast base the struts are attached. Image 6436 shows the deck brackets alignment to the pivot pin hole on the mast base. Also, note the nylon washers on both top and bottom bolts for reduced friction.
Hope this helps and keep us posted with your final product.
This is so very helpfull. Thanks for taking the time to send these pics to me. I will post my results when finished.

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
It was a bit of a hack job, but I ran two eye bolts right through the deck on my old 23 in line with the back pivot pin. tangs on either side with 2 pop rivets and some u-bolted cable. If the mast was staying up a while, I'd undo the eye bolts and drop carriage bolts in the holes.