B361 temperature reading

May 8, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oslo, Norway
Hi! My ST60 Tridata display is stuck on -3.5 degrees Celsius. Even Norway is not that cold... Speed and depth work fine. Anyone with experience on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks! :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Attached find a copy of the manual.
On page 45 it says in the "calibration" section
Set temperature units
Select either °C or °F, as required.
Temperature calibration
Set the display to show the current water temperature.​
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/138220/Raymarine-St60-Tridata.html?page=45#manual

Just a guess, but if left without battery power for the winter it is possible the unit lost calibration and needs to be reset.
Second possibility is the transducer was damaged during your winter months and may need to be inspected.

Best of luck

May 8, 2019
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Oslo, Norway
I thought that if the temp sensor broke, speed and depth would also not show. But both speed and depth are ok. Can I inspect the sensor in any way?

I am able to calibrate it from -5 to +5 degrees, but it is still stuck and don’t show any different values...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The thermistors in Airmar transducers ALWAYS eventually fail. Always. It is the temp sensor. And there is no way to fix them.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
The thermistors in Airmar transducers ALWAYS eventually fail. Always. It is the temp sensor. And there is no way to fix them.
9-year old post, I know, but I'm going thru this now with a Raymarine ST60+ thermometer, and searching the archives, so I thought I'd update with a possible solution for others who may be searching. I ran across an excellent video from a guy that clearly explains how to fix this. Going to give this a try. Only requires modest soldering skills and a resister which is around $1.00.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
9-year old post, I know, but I'm going thru this now with a Raymarine ST60+ thermometer, and searching the archives, so I thought I'd update with a possible solution for others who may be searching. I ran across an excellent video from a guy that clearly explains how to fix this. Going to give this a try. Only requires modest soldering skills and a resister which is around $1.00.

Thats very interesting. And might be worth a try. But if you look at the attached document, you see that a 'open' failure is much more common than a 'drift' failure. And the drift might not be linear, meaning that even if you can calibrate it once, it might be right only for that temp. but for a buck, worth a try. But read the resistance first. If it reads ZERO, its open dead. or --- its a short and dead.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Success!!

Just followed the directions in the video above, soldered the $1.25 resistor in-line, and problem fixed. Photo with 122 degrees was prior to fix. Calibration adjustment only allows ~10-15 degree change, so couldn’t get temp low enough without fixing. After fix, easily in range to calibrate. Proof any idiot can do it. Other pics show resistor soldered in place, and then cleanup.

Attachments

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
UPDATE: I don't think the thermistor is actually fixed. I went out this weekend, and monitored the temperature of the water on a 2-day cruise on the Chesapeake. Unless the bay has an unusually consistent temperature of exactly 81 degrees this year from my slip, all the way across the bay and into the Choptank River, it appears that while I can now calibrate the temperature on the thermister, it just stays at that calibrated temperature.

Sigh.

Well at least it only cost me $1.25. Jackdaw, you called it.

Aug 18, 2018
Beneteau 343 Portland
I’ve got a 2008 Beneteau 343. While having some other work done. Suddenly, the sea temperature suddenly appears. Cool, you might think. Unfortunately, it is showing 141f. Any thoughts?

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Try recalibating the temp, but if that doesn't work, then as above, the thermister is dead and there's no repairing it. You could buy a new sensor, cut the wires near the thru hull, use the manufacturer's wiring block to connect, and put the new one in. I've been contemplating doing that myself.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I think 141 (60 C) is the most it will show before it goes to dashes. Our Airmar transducer has been getting progressively worse for the last couple years and the temperature kept climbing. This summer when the actual water temperatures were very warm the reading was going up to 141 then just dashes. Later in the year when the water temperatures started dropping again we started getting sub-141 but still incorrect readings.