B361 Battery replacement

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Beneteau Oceanis 361 Vancouver
Hey everyone thanks for the help and suggestions all these 10 years.
Now 10 +yrsBatteries need to be replaced (could start engine and ran well 3weeks ago, now suddenly v sluggish and weak turning over n not starting engine guessing battery problems) but labels blurred.
one looks like lead acid and other two AGM.
Any advice in types to buy and installations? Thanks again

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Just installed 3 Group 31 (105amps each) AGM Duracell Batteries from Sams Club for the house bank and 1 Group 29 AGM for the starter battery. First set lasted 8 1/2 years and they were mistreated on occasion. Probably could have got another year out of them; however, I didn't want to take a chance.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If you got 10+ years on the first set you’re doing ok. How do you use the boat (extended off grid time or mostly day sailing) and how do you charge it (shore power of other arrangements on a mooring)?

I have Deka Intimidator AGM’s - 2 group 31’s for the house and a group 24 for the engine. They’re going strong after 7 years but a pretty sheltered life with lots of day sailing, only a few real deep discharges and shore power for charging. If your use case is similar I’d recommend similar. If charging is less available flooded lead acid might be better.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
I simply use a Group 24 lead acid for my starting battery. Going to have my existing checked starting battery checked today actually, with the expectation that it may need replaced. My house bank consists of two 4D lead acid batteries.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
If you got 10+ years on the first set you’re doing ok. How do you use the boat (extended off grid time or mostly day sailing) and how do you charge it (shore power of other arrangements on a mooring)?

I have Deka Intimidator AGM’s - 2 group 31’s for the house and a group 24 for the engine. They’re going strong after 7 years but a pretty sheltered life with lots of day sailing, only a few real deep discharges and shore power for charging. If your use case is similar I’d recommend similar. If charging is less available flooded lead acid might be better.
yes just v minimal day sails.disgraceful under use... personal constraints.
shore power v to full n off to minimize zinc damage.
So may follow your batteries layout if you have similar engine 30hp western eke.
thanks.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
I simply use a Group 24 lead acid for my starting battery. Going to have my existing checked starting battery checked today actually, with the expectation that it may need replaced. My house bank consists of two 4D lead acid batteries.
I hv room for two house and one for start so maybe 2D4 and one house ... thanks.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Ben noted you use all lead acid, no AGM?
Am thinking I should use lead acid too as my usage will be msummer, 6-10 5hrs day sail a summer max.
So maybe just replace with these more economical batteries as I have shore charging 24/7 if needed.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Just to be clear, they’re all lead acid. The difference is flooded lead acid vs absorbed glass mat.

The advantages of AGM are that it can accept higher charge rates and that there’s no need to refill water periodically. In your use case, like mine, the charge rate doesn’t matter because the charge time is pretty unlimited. For me the maintenance-free aspect is pretty nice. I check the connections once a year but don’t need to go digging around checking water levels every month. The batteries can also be stored and charged under an aft berth without worrying about offgassing.

The main disadvantage of AGM (beside cost) is that they sulfate and lose capacity more severely if left partially discharged. That’s not really a problem in your case or mine.

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Guan, you are correct, I do NOT have any AGM, only flooded lead acid.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
tks David. I'm probably going for 2 house G31 AGM and AGM21 for start... as will be lighter to replace as muscles not strong!
Tks to all for replies.

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
finally reconnect leads of two batteries. now need some wisdom of how to dispose or just leave alone exposed battery wires from one unused battery.
just tape them off... Black together and then reds together and leave them? the remaining 4D in a space of 2.5 ft height wedged next to engine will be impossible for me and friend to removed and will be left as dead weights until I meet Samson!

Guan

Jul 18, 2011
Installed two G3G AGM Deka intimidator. (USA made probably will please at least Trump). one for starting and other house.