B331 companionway sliding hatch squeaks

Sep 23, 2004
- - Stockton Lake
Beneteau 331 sliding hatch is squeaking and very hard to slide. Recommendations for taking it apart and what do I lube it with after I clean it?

Sep 23, 2004
- - Stockton Lake
My Beneteau has a sliding lexan cover. Can I lube it without taking it off. If not any suggestions on how to remove it?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I don't have a Beneteau, so can't offer recommendations on removal. The McLube SailKote can has a small tube that you put in the nozzle that let's you direct the lube to a very small area. You should be able to lube the track quite well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Before the lube. Give the area a good cleaning. The slides for our companionways are dirt catchers. Every now and then they need a good clean out. Only challenge appears that the water used to clean it out sometimes gets into the boat. A good plastic sheet might help.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I chartered a 331 many times; that screeching hatch would drive me crazy! Its a characteristic of that vintage and model.
I would suggest that you remove the fiberglass sea hood that will allow the removal of the acrylic slider lens. Clean the lens thoroughly as well as the rub rails and seals. Spray some Sail Kote on the seals and slider. Hopefully that will help. Also check that the fiberglass seahood isn't rubbing on the acrylic lens. Happened on my 343 and scratched the lens and screetched as well. Had to sand down the seahood to eliminate the rubbing. I have read where individuals have trimmed the rubber seals on the 331 to eliminate the screetching noise; however, it may cause leaking, so I would use that option as a last resort.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
I just took the stops off at the entrance and pulled it out until it hit the binnacle. You then have access to pretty much all of it. Then clean well and then put a silicone spray (available anywheres) on the sliders - seems fine now. To get it out all the way I'd have to do something with the binnacle (as it hits it when extended) and it now slides well. It is a very heavy piece of plastic.

Mike Casey
Nova Scotia, Canada

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2013
Beneteau 41.1 Glen Cove, NY
I concur with Bluenose. Removing the two white plastic stops on my 331 would allow me to pull the sliding companionway cover pretty far aft for cleaning, but not enough to remove it. On the deck forward, the fiberglass non-skid cover that protects the lexan when it is in the opened position could be removed by unscrewing the screws that hold it in place. I used to do that every other year to get at the dirt trapped underneath it and to remove the lexan entirely for cleaning.