B323 roller main

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A new member has a problem with his roller main. Does someone on here have one that can offer "tricks learned" or such ??? Ron

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
A new member has a problem with his roller main. Does someone on here have one that can offer "tricks learned" or such ??? Ron
What is the issue they are having?
On our Beneteau 321, we had a few issues. We found that the boom angle made a huge difference. Has to be less than 90 degrees with the mast. Also, if you furl in tightly, it tends to unfurl better.

New lines helped too.

We also put in a new track with a ball bearing boom car instead of the delrin rollers. Easy to install.

Chris

Oct 10, 2018
Beneteau 321 Bay Harbor Marina, Bay City MI
I replaced the delrin rollers in my boom car. Huge difference.

Oct 10, 2018
Actually I did the cost was $380 for the whole car. When I got the new car I saw what was wrong with the old one and ordered the replacement delrin rollers that were actually missing when I bought the boat 2 years ago. I didn't know at the time why the sail wouldn't roll up or out. I put the new car in and what a difference it made. I received the new rollers and put the old car back in and it worked just a well as the new car. Now I have an extra car. If anyone needs one I will sell the new one at about 1/3 the price I paid (maybe even less) I have no use for it now.

Dec 15, 2020
Beneteau 361 Mobile
Actually I did the cost was $380 for the whole car. When I got the new car I saw what was wrong with the old one and ordered the replacement delrin rollers that were actually missing when I bought the boat 2 years ago. I didn't know at the time why the sail wouldn't roll up or out. I put the new car in and what a difference it made. I received the new rollers and put the old car back in and it worked just a well as the new car. Now I have an extra car. If anyone needs one I will sell the new one at about 1/3 the price I paid (maybe even less) I have no use for it now.
Hi Wesleymi,
Where did you get the car

Oct 10, 2018
I bought it and the new delrin rollers from Rig-Rite Inc. The brand, on mine anyway, was Sparcraft. They had the same brand in stock.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
One winter in the Bahamas I helped a friend with his main. We had to replace the furling line, correct the way the line was running through the car blocks, and find all the little bearings that had fallen onto the deck. We worked it in and out several times at the dock getting the optimum boom angle for furling and he marked his topping lift. After that he was a happy sailor. Any pictures of the set-up?

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
What is the issue they are having?
On our Beneteau 321, we had a few issues. We found that the boom angle made a huge difference. Has to be less than 90 degrees with the mast. Also, if you furl in tightly, it tends to unfurl better.

Chris
And position the boat so that the wind should be forward to starboard, if the sail is rolling counter-clockwise, it helps the sail feed on smoothly. Viceversa to port if the sail furls the other way...

Oct 27, 2010
E-22 e-22 Stratford
I did a series of youtube videos that should help a lot. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCka02f2QB2vsiciLYFnAh-w

It's also possible that as it's a 323 and out of production for many years, that the existing sail is original and quite old...

Bob Pattison
Neil Pryde Sails. Int.