B323 fuel pickup

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
New to me 2004 B323 suffered fuel issues in delivery. The supposed 3 day trip took 11 days, due to 2 engine failures that stranded crew. (First skipper idled engine while sailing to ”charge batteries” even though alternator belt was very loose). Had two different diesel mechanics, one at each of the two strand locations.

Filters and lift pump replaced (probably unnecessarily). Second mechanic found and fixed air leak, and discovered new total clog in fuel pick at the tank.

Can’t pull the pickup from the plastic tank. It seems to be an integral assembly (2004 boat, tank apparently from France). Mechanic hadn't seen that before. Couldn’t clear the pickup tube with tank on boat. So bypassed clogged pickup by running fuel line into transducer hole on fuel tank.

Boat is finally at new home slip. But need to empty and remove fuel tank. Then, either clear integral/built-in pickup, or get new tank and new pickup.

Any ideas or suggestions? I haven’t yet found source for new tank.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
How about some photos of the tank and pickup tube. Seems odd that the tube isn't removable. Try compressed air to clear tube. Post some photos of the fuel filter assemblies while your at it.

Oct 3, 2008
Beneteau 393 Chesapeake Bay
I have a B393, same generation as your 323. I also have the plastic fuel tank. My fuel pickup is bolted onto the tank, along with the bracket and cable connection for the emergency fuel cutoff (which is separate from the fuel cutoff on the engine that runs to the cockpit). It looks like a large hex head to me. It should be removable. Please post a picture of yours.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
There is a plate on top of the fuel tank that should allow access to the inside of the tank. If it isn't large enough to access the pickup tube,
fuel tank plates are available for installation, that will provide the necessary access. The tank may have sludge / algae and should be cleaned thoroughly, filled with fresh diesel, and treated with a diesel additive to prevent algae growth. If the fuel is contaminated, changing filters without cleaning the tank will only result in the new filters reclogging again and again. May be what happened if the boat was being delivered by way of the Gulf in some choppy waters. As Syclone mentioned, the fuel pickup tube can be cleared with compressed air. No way should you need a new tank unless it is leaking severely....and I doubt that is happening.

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
How about some photos of the tank and pickup tube. Seems odd that the tube isn't removable. Try compressed air to clear tube. Post some photos of the fuel filter assemblies while your at it.
I have a B393, same generation as your 323. I also have the plastic fuel tank. My fuel pickup is bolted onto the tank, along with the bracket and cable connection for the emergency fuel cutoff (which is separate from the fuel cutoff on the engine that runs to the cockpit). It looks like a large hex head to me. It should be removable. Please post a picture of yours.
There is a plate on top of the fuel tank that should allow access to the inside of the tank. If it isn't large enough to access the pickup tube,
fuel tank plates are available for installation, that will provide the necessary access. The tank may have sludge / algae and should be cleaned thoroughly, filled with fresh diesel, and treated with a diesel additive to prevent algae growth. If the fuel is contaminated, changing filters without cleaning the tank will only result in the new filters reclogging again and again. May be what happened if the boat was being delivered by way of the Gulf in some choppy waters. As Syclone mentioned, the fuel pickup tube can be cleared with compressed air. No way should you need a new tank unless it is leaking severely....and I doubt that is happening.
I will get back to boat, take and post pics. Thanks for your input.
Mech said he should drain and remove tank for thorough cleaning, and to attempt clearing pickup.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have a 2004 B323 US built. There is a cover (access) plate in the top of the fuel tank.
I haven’t had the cover off and it looks like I could be a challenge to remove due to sealant beneath the cover flange. The up side is that access should be sufficient to get at the fuel pickup, float switch, and to clean the tank. It doesn’t seem reasonable that there would be no ability to get at the innards of the tank

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I have a 2004 B323 US built. There is a cover (access) plate in the top of the fuel tank.
I haven’t had the cover off and it looks like I could be a challenge to remove due to sealant beneath the cover flange. The up side is that access should be sufficient to get at the fuel pickup, float switch, and to clean the tank. It doesn’t seem reasonable that there would be no ability to get at the innards of the tank
Doug, don't you have an access panel on the front of that gas tank cubby? Maybe hidden by the aft mattress. but, I'd have to think you've seen it by now. I believe that access is there for the tank connections? There is some good storage room in front of, and port of the fuel tank. I removed that panel that covers the tank cubby and stained some plywood to replace the OEM, then I cut an access panel over the port side of the tank for easier storage.The OEM cover can be used for other places, and it matches the cabin interior wood. ME, I used it to block off the foot well under the nav station to make more storage, which I needed for the DelMarVa Loop.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Doug, don't you have an access panel on the front of that gas tank cubby? Maybe hidden by the aft mattress. but, I'd have to think you've seen it by now. I believe that access is there for the tank connections? There is some good storage room in front of, and port of the fuel tank. I removed that panel that covers the tank cubby and stained some plywood to replace the OEM, then I cut an access panel over the port side of the tank for easier storage.The OEM cover can be used for other places, and it matches the cabin interior wood. ME, I used it to block off the foot well under the nav station to make more storage, which I needed for the DelMarVa Loop.
Ron,
The entire rear shelf and bulkhead is easily removable to access the fuel tank...
I don’t recall the tank cover that fullbore shows with the bolts loosened as being so close to the top of that compartment. If the fuel tank is empty, it should be fairly easy to remove if necessary.
(side note: If I had to get creative to find places to store stuff on my boat, I would have to do what my neighbor did and raise the waterline bottom paint on the hull about three inches to compensate for the increase in draft.)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My DMV loop was a one- time thing (but there is another CB2 one this June.) The cubbies are not the weight- it is all the stuff we put IN them ! 70 degrees here today.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
My DMV loop was a one- time thing (but there is another CB2 one this June.) The cubbies are not the weight- it is all the stuff we put IN them ! 70 degrees here today.
That’s what I’m saying. Its amazing how much stuff deemed necessary finds its way on to the boat never to find its way off again. Then there‘s that tool that did find its way off the boat in Michigan and made its way here to Charlottesville to join its evil twin...

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Could have saved a lot of time ,money , frustration and mechanics. Install a vacuum gauge after the fuel filter water separator, if it goes over 10 hg your filter is clogged ,change filter still hi reading your intake tube is clogged. No Vacuum your lift pump is bad

Attachments

Last edited:

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
I have just finished installing 2 8" inspection ports in our fuel tank. We had a lot of sludge that I cleaned out last fall after drilling the inspection port holes. I purchased the ports from trivergent manufacturing. If you are wondering why 2 ports there is a baffle halfway through our tank. Our fuel delivery problem occurred with 1 1/2 months left in our season. Our pickup tube is less than 1/4 inch from the bottom of the tank. To finish the season I macguyvered a temporary solution. I added a "blow tube" to my fuel line. Each time I mshut the motor off I opened the valve and blew the fuel out of the pickup tube to clear the tube. It worked great and the boat never stalled again.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Could have saved a lot of time ,money , frustration and mechanics. Install a vacuum gauge after the fuel filter water separator, if it goes over 10 hg your filter is clogged ,change filter still hi reading your intake tube is clogged. No Vacuum your lift pump is bad
Good idea. What guage is applicable, fitting size, cost, & source

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Good idea. What guage is applicable, fitting size, cost, & source
Its a 0-30 hg vacuum gauge 1/4 Npt rear , liquid filled for vibration . You need a 1/4npt tee, 1/4Npt nipple and thats it . Amazon is your source or ebay.
When you change your filter it will read zero ,as your filter starts to plug it goes up ,I painted it yellow at 7to 10 red after that . You will save money no need to change out filter every year ,after 3 years i'm at 5
Oh and to check lift pump simply shut fuel supply off ,no vacuum your lift pump is shot

Last edited: