B24 Has White Residue Weeping Out Of Small Cracks In Keel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2013
Bristol B24 Friendship, Me
I was working on my boat today and I noticed some white residue dried where it had weeped out of a couple small cracks in the keel. One of them is larger and weeped quite a bit. The crack appears to be delaminated and could be chipped off pretty easily.

I believe the keel is filled with concrete because the bilge is shallow.

My first instinct is to chip all the cracks open and epoxy it, then, repaint the bottom. I imagine that the white residue has something to do with the concrete fill.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home
Re: B24 Has White Residue Weeping Out Of Small Cracks In Kee

salt water maybe?

Apr 6, 2013
It's the concrete - I checked. I am cutting away with a grinder, patching with a polyester resin for use under water and will have to repaint.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home

concrete does deteriorate, ive seen it happen
will what you have be fine or will it need replaced?

Apr 6, 2013
Its no big deal - just have to do some fiberglass patching and repaint the bottom. That's the biggest thing. I wasn't going to redo the bottom paint this year - its in good shape still.

I was trying to have her in the water next week - not going to make it.

Jul 5, 2007
Kenner Privateer 26 schooner, Carlyle Illinois
keel problem

My B24 had a void in the keel in the rear 18" or so, and just above the bottom. Eventually water got in and froze, causing small craks in the fiberglass. I cut a hand sized hole and cleaned out a lot of old sawdust, etc. I then filled the void with cheap epoxy mixed with sawdust, and feathered out and glassed the hole. .

My boat has a lead ballast, so yours may be different, but if the cracks and weeping are in that area; you may want to open it up and check.

Apr 6, 2013
I just fiberglassed the cracks and I found a void in the front of the keel that was full of water. I tapped around til I found the bottom and drilled a hole there to drain it.

I wasn't sure if I should fill that void or not - so I left it. I had considered filling it with expanding foam.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home

my keel has started oozing the white now too
guess i have a bit more work to do than i thought

Apr 6, 2013
I've since been told that the void in front of the keel is a designed thing meant to be sacrificial should you bump onto something hard.sort of like three easy they build cars to crumple in an accident.

The re-fiberglassing was simple to do and was pretty quick.

Jul 5, 2007
voids

I'm pretty sure that any voids left in the keel were not deliberate. Mine does not have a void in the front part. They just weren't that careful about filling all the encapsulated keel area.

Voids are not good, because they will eventually get water in them, and when the boat is pulled out for the winter, the water can freeze and cause cracks and weeping.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home

since i have concrete ballast, if i find a void, will it hurt to fill it with lead shot?

Jul 5, 2007
since i have concrete ballast, if i find a void, will it hurt to fill it with lead shot?
Depends on how your boat sits to it's lines now. I don't think I'd add too much weight toward the stern.

The concrete ballast has its' good points. The motion on your boat will be easier, because the ballast is distributed over a larger area. Some "quickcrete" mixed with old nails might work ok.

Aug 4, 2010
Hunter 27 Fairhaven
Depends on how much lead your going to add and if it is centered.
The quickcrete idea sounds good except for the nails. I would not introduce dis-similar materials.
Simpson strong ties makes several epoxy and poly products that work really well with concrete, one of which cures in the presence of moisture. I am not sure how it will react with saltwater though. Should be okay, concrete is an alkaline as is salt.
I have a similar problem on my boat and am going to use the Simpson product when I pull the boat this year. $200 bucks though, expensive for what you get, 20:1 expansion.

beast

Apr 5, 2013
Bristol 24 home

we use to use that stuff when installing satellite dishes
gotta make sure you dont add too much cuz it may raise havoc with your outer shell
i know it compressed the soil around it quite well

Apr 6, 2013
Personally shipped filling the void and merely drilled a hole at the bottom of the void and drained the water out. Then fiberglassed the areas and spot painted bottom paint so that she could get in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.