B and G autopilot commissioning

Mar 24, 2012
Hunter 34 531 East Patchogue NY
I have installed an autopilot system composed of a Simrad SD10 drive motor, a Precision 9 compass and a NAC2 computer. I'm attempting to run it with a Vulcan 7. The Vulcan is seeing the autopilot but I have not been able to run the dockside commissioning. When I hit the dockside commissioning button I get a pop up screen stating, "Press the STBY button on your autopilot controller to continue ". The only standby button I can find is on the screen that has the activate button as well as other options. Hitting that does nothing. In the NAC2 commissioning manual it is stated that some systems require a dedicated physical standby key that can be on the AP controller, remote controller or separate standby key. The SD10 does provide wiring for an "optional" standby key. Anyone have experience with the V7 running an AP can shed some light on my problem? I've read through every manual I can find and searched you tube and the forums to no avail! Thx

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Have you tried calling B&G? There were helpfull when I had an issue one of there products.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Do you have one or two Vulcan's on the boat. Or do you have an App on your phone or computer that will allow you to multi-task? Then I would GUESS that you would put one display on the normal control function for the autopilot and one display on the set-up/calibration menu.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The devil is in the details.

Put Vulcan at the heart of your boat and take control of your B&G autopilot from your Vulcan’s touchscreen. With an installed controller elsewhere, the intuitive controls can be accessed from any screen with a simple tap and allow you to alter course, tack, gybe, sail to wind or compass. Take advantage of the advanced sailing algorithms that make B&G Pilots as good as the best helmsman – all from your Vulcan’s touch screen.
Emphasis added. (https://www.bandg.com/bg/type/chartplotter/vulcan-7r-no-xd)

You'll need to add a controller. Apparently the Vulcan 7 is a slave unit.

Check these links:

https://www.bandg.com/bg/type/autopilots/autopilot-displays-controllers/triton2-autopilot-controller
https://www.bandg.com/bg/type/autop...trollers/triton2-pilot-controllerdisplay-pack

A third option would be to add a Zeus3 and use the Vulcan as a remote display.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The Vulcan 7 has an integrated controller display..... I have mine connected directly to a Simrad tiller pilot....It handles all ap functions. Since the tiller pilot can work as a stand alone device and has an internal compass, you must set up the system to use the same compass...through out. Go to the setup menu and look for the default compass mode.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
JWerkJr:

I suppose you could try to put the autopilot in standby on the Vulcan 7 unit. Then go to the Set-up/Commissioning Menu.
Otherwise, you're going to have to call B&G or a Master Installer (electronics firm that familiar with the intricacies).

I trust you don't want to have and/or pay for a separate dedicated autopilot controller in the cockpit. I have found that having one positioned where you can be tucked behind a dodger or adjusting a sheet has been very helpful for shorthanded sailing.

Jan 11, 2014
What instruments do you have installed? Are they the Triton2 instruments?

B&G has 3 tiers, the Vulcan Series, Zeus Series, and the H5000 computer. The Vulcan series is the least full featured of the 3 series. Zeus2 and above will support the NAC-2 without an additional control unit, this is the system I have on Second Star.

The Vulcan series is an entry level system. My reading of the B&G literature suggests Vulcan can act as a remote, but not the primary AP controller. Unfortunately the manuals are little vague on which model MFDs can control the NAC-2. From Page 7 of the Commissioning manual:

The NAC-2 and NAC-3 autopilot computers can be controlled by various Simrad and B&G control units. This can be dedicated autopilot controllers (e.g. AP44), Multifunction displays (MFDs) and autopilot remote controllers (e.g. OP12) used in combination with instrument systems, or any combination of the above.
It is probably time to call B&G Tech Support, 1-800-628-4487 (Canada: 855-361-1564). Call don't submit an online request. Phone support is usually pretty good, online email support, not so good. Took the 6 months to respond to a request I made.

Mar 24, 2012
Everything I mentioned in the OP is everything I have installed. I tried hooking up a STBY switch to the optional hookup but still no luck. I think you all are correct in that I'll need to add a separate controller which I never thought I'd need. I'm a coastal cruiser so the Vulcan is plenty good for my needs. The AP is to be my mate when I'm out single handed. I'll be calling tech support in the morning for confirmation and to find out if the $269 controller for the triton will work with my setup! Thx for all the input!

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Ask B&G, if you need something more if they'd take the Vulcan and exchange it for a Zeus unit? Even a Zues 2 might due. It might be less expensive.

May 25, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Harbor Island West
The devil is in the details.

Emphasis added. (Vulcan 7 | B&G Sailing USA)

You'll need to add a controller. Apparently the Vulcan 7 is a slave unit.

Check these links:

Triton² Autopilot controller | B&G Sailing USA
Triton² Autopilot controller and display pack | B&G Sailing USA

A third option would be to add a Zeus3 and use the Vulcan as a remote display.
Well that is brutally accurate and now a reason why i may not like b&g anymore. To rely on slavery ;) go Open Plotter and open software!

May 25, 2021
Beneteau 35s5 Harbor Island West
Ask B&G, if you need something more if they'd take the Vulcan and exchange it for a Zeus unit? Even a Zues 2 might due. It might be less expensive.
Is that possible? I bought a vulcan 7 R. Never used. Was going to put it in the helm... but if it means i have to buy a $500 AP controller to drive my NAC 3... i

Jan 11, 2014
Is that possible? I bought a vulcan 7 R. Never used. Was going to put it in the helm... but if it means i have to buy a $500 AP controller to drive my NAC 3... i
The B&G AP controller is only $269 at Defender.

Mar 24, 2012
I am running my AP with my Vulcan 7. I have worked out the issue of the OP. See the start of the thread where I detail all of the components of my AP system. Ray, PM me if you wish!