Aux OB on H29.5

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
Thinking about installing a small outboard on my 29.5 as a backup to the

Yanmar 2GM20F.

Anyone have an aux OB installed on the 'sugar scoop' type stern?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Just tie your dingy alongside and use its motor to power in if you lose your diesel. An outboard on a sugar scoop would look awful! Chief

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No need for such backup. A sailboat is an excellent hybrid machine and tow boat insurance will fill any gaps. You may also have a portable outboard installation by installing the outboard on a dink and either towing or pushing the bigger boat. It can also be used to go ashore and bring in supplies instead of just hanging at the stern. A boat with a sugar scoop is perfectly adapted to be backed stern in into a floating dock; with an outboard in the stern you will give up that convenience. Lastly there is the issue of added drag should the outboard lower unit remain in the water. I would think that the outboard as a backup will not be needed frequently enough to warrant an installation.

Dec 3, 2013
HUNTER 29.5 PORT CHARLOTTE FL
No need for such backup. A sailboat is an excellent hybrid machine and tow boat insurance will fill any gaps. You may also have a portable outboard installation by installing the outboard on a dink and either towing or pushing the bigger boat. It can also be used to go ashore and bring in supplies instead of just hanging at the stern. A boat with a sugar scoop is perfectly adapted to be backed stern in into a floating dock; with an outboard in the stern you will give up that convenience. Lastly there is the issue of added drag should the outboard lower unit remain in the water. I would think that the outboard as a backup will not be needed frequently enough to warrant an installation.
Thanks. Good advise.