Autopilot linear actuator on hunter 356

Oct 24, 2015
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
Hi Guys/Girls,
I have just purchased a 2003 Hunter Legend 356 to which I wish to fit an autopilot. The Raymarine new generation looks good, but I don't want a wheel drive, but a linear drive.
Can anyone help with suggestions of type/model and installation photos/experience please?
Regards,
Neil

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
We have the RM wheel pilot on our 356, I think a linear drive would be a good idea. It looks like it would be a straight forward installation. There is only one drive link between the steering pedestal and the rudder quadrant and it is easy to access all this under the cover in the cockpit floor. Please post some pictures and description of the install. My friend has one installed on his newer Hunter 36. I'll contact him and try to get a few pictures.
Good luck, Bob

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Stay tuned for info on the install from Hunter factory,I need to look for the documents
I got from Hunter.
My computer went down a few weeks ago and will look up my backup external drive storage.
I am now using a chrome book that my wife got me and very different than my windows and learning for sure.
I do have the linear drive 1 needed but not as easy to make the install and where the linear drive
needs to be installed is 2 electrical boxes for my Gen and I think also inverter auto switching.
I keep saying I will start but one thing after another keeps getting in the way.
Nick

May 16, 2007
Here is the
image.png
only picture my friend Ben has on his install on his Hunter 36. The cockpit floor cover has been removed to show the drive link from the pedestal, you can see a second quadrant added under the original, a rudder position indicator and the linear drive is mounted in the cockpit locker. I'll see if he can get a picture of that before the boat gets buttoned up for the winter.
Hope this helps, Bob

Oct 24, 2015
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
Guys thank you very much for the very prompt reply and help. I am back at the boat today so will take a look with a view to copying Bens installation.

Bob, where did Ben get the rudder quadrant from please? I am told that with the new gen' Raymarine kit you don't need a rudder pos' indicator?
Do you find the noise from the wheel pilot to be a nuisance? (I would imagine it is similar noise to a tiller pilot that I have on my Westerly Griffon.....V irritating)

Thanks again.

Neil

May 16, 2007
Neil, Ben bought the boat with this AP already installed. Does your boat have the stainless steel rudder stock or the composite stock ? That may effect the quadrant needed. A RM installer should be able to supply the required quadrant, and probably the Hunter parts store on this site.
Regarding a rudder position indicator, did you read #14 by Maine Sail on this thread http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/auto-pilot-steering.175028/#post-1245941 ? I don't have a position indicator on our boat but planning to add one !
Yes I find the wheel pilot a bit noisy. I'm told if it's properly calibrated and adjusted it should not be noisy. When I get back to the boat I intend to take the wheel drive apart and clean it up maybe put on a new belt. Our last Gulf Stream crossing I was playing with the response etc. adjustments and got it completely messed up by the time we crossed over (you have to find something to do on a 9 hr crossing). I intend to recalibrate, clean adjust the drive and then see how it works.
BTW if you take the cover up to look at the steering linkage check the sealing caulk around the engine control cables and the other side where the wires enter. We had a drip in heavy rain that appeared in the aft cabin and finally tracked it back to these areas.
Bob

Last edited:
May 16, 2007
Here more info and picture of my setup on my boat and also photo of
another H-36 where they added a mounting point on top of the rudder post
for the linear drive.
Nick
Thanks Nick ! Great reference information. I've kept a copy in case I decide to go that route.
Bob

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Mine was one of the first H356 to have a below decks autopilot. Hunter told my dealer it couldn't be done. I have 8583 NM on mine in Kentucky Lake and SW Florida and in between and it has worked great since 2003. We had to cut out part of the port lazzerette bulkhead to make the actuator work, but it has been trouble free for 13 seasons. At one point, I did tighten the connection and use loctite on the nut.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
That is why I have not added the below deck linear drive,very tight fitting and when I was maybe
15 years younger I could have squeezed into the rear stern locker up side down to mount the drive and I need to lower 2 electrical auto switching boxes that are in the way.
My back does not let me do what I was able to do 15 years ago and having some rotor rooter back surgery to clean out a build up of Stenosis the end of Nov and hoping I will be better able to be active again,due to this problem I have been very lazy.
I have had this Hunter factory info and the linear drive 1 for many years and was planning to install
much sooner but things just got delayed.
Nick
Nick

Oct 24, 2015
Hunter 356 Brightlingsea
Thanks Guys,
I have just got back from the boat and had a look. I need a unit to fool around with to see how is best, but your installations look like they should work on the 356. It would have been nice to have mounted it under the floor that covers the steering linkage, but I don't think there is enough room as the manual for the linear drive says it needs a 10" lever arm. One would assume that the 'drive needs to be able to run through its full range? If not could I get away with a shorter lever arm for the 'drive?
I have the composite stock, so the stainless one that Nick has shown looks best.
I am now awaiting my RM stockist to come up with a price....
I did read the post regarding the position indicator...my local RM dealer told me that it is not required with the new Gen' system, but if it makes the difference I will spend the money.
Nick the Hunter installation Pdf is great thanks, and the photos also very useful.
Best wishes,
Neil

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
The lingth is critical to the operation of the ram it needs that lingth in order not to over power the drive motor shorter puts more strain on the drive

Jun 2, 2016
Hunter Legend 36 West Mersea
Does anyone know where to get the bellows shown in the Hunter installation instructions? - I got Jefa to make up a tiller and I have acquired the drive but cannot find suitable bellows...
Thanks
Chris

Dec 22, 2012
Hunter 27-3 103 Gables By The Sea
Hope someone is still looking here. Any idea what the current consumption is on a linear autopilot system like the Raymarine EV-200 sail linear autopilot when it is working; average consumption also. The manual only really gives the current consumption while asleep. I called Raymarine and the guy told me 15 amps but it seems like too much. Can anyone explain how the linear drive works and how the clutch works. Does the clutch also use juice.