Autopilot Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave

I will be installing a new Autohelm 4000+ on my 1992 Legend 35.5 this spring. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best location to mount the fluxgate compass? Thanks. Dave

J

Jim Rushing

Fluxgate Compass Location

I mounted the unit on the back bulkhead in the aft cabin. When I ran the setup procedure a few weeks ago, it had a 7 degree error at that location. This is well within the specs for the unit. I mounted the control head on the binicle. If you need more details, I will be glad to put you in touch with one of the HOW members that helped me.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
nooooooooooo

The manual will tell you that a fluxgate compass is ideally positioned as near as possible to the pitch and roll center of the vessel in order to minimize gimbal disturbance. In other words, don't use the aft bulkhead, get it close to the keel. Keeping it away from large ferrus metal objects scores extra points.

C

Colin Campbell

In the salon

Mine is mounted inside the end unit which is part of the galley sink installation which would make it about 6" off the centerline athwartships and 36" behind center lengthwise. I am happy to say it functions well in this location.

L

Larry Baswick

Auto compass

I have a 1992 35.5 and the fluxgate compass of the Autohelm 4000 was dealer installed under the second removable center floorboard forward of the companionway steps. It is mounted against an athwartship grid member dead amidships, is easy to get at and has worked flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.