Autopilot for Hunter 40.5

Irek

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Vancouver BC
Hie guys
Encouraged by great response to my question about bottom painting, I wonder if you could share opinion about autopilots for this boat. Originally Hunter suggested rotary type 2 fm Raymarine which should be fitted into the steering column. The issue that I have with this approach is that should the steering cable break, there will be no hand steering and no autopilot. This could be solved by installing linear drive on the tiller. But space under the flor is very small. I am now looking at hydraulic cylinder system and hope that it will be small enough to fit into the available space.
I know that the easiest will be autopilot mounted on the steering wheel, but this solution will not work with m boat. She came with side-t-side big wheel. If not under way it is removed for easy walking around the cockpit. I wonder if you could share yr experience and let me know what kind of system you have on yr boats and how happy/unhappy you are with it.

Cheers/Irek

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Install a hydraulic linear drive. If steering wheel fails you have the emergency tiller and auto pilot as backups.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I an very surprised that your 40.5 didn't already have an AP. Please let me offer an opinion. I believe you may be over thinking this install. Every 40.5 of which I am aware has a rotary unit. I have never heard of nor read of such a failure. You already know how much re-engineering and modifications would be necessary to install a lineal. I believe a better way to address your concerns is to purchase an Edison overhaul kit to replace the components. I do personally know one 40.5 that sailed half way around the world with no AP issue. Best of luck regardless of your decision.

Irek

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Vancouver BC
Tk guys for prompt response and opinions. And to answer Rick, unfortunately yes, there was no autopilot installed. Rotary drive, as originally designed by Hunter could be a good solution if not for the fact that all books say Edion's mechanical steering is prone to wire failure (the one that goes from the wheel to the quadrant) and suggest annual withdrawal for inspection. Hence the idea of linear drive. I will have a meeting with local Raymarine guys to discuss this issue but they in generally do not get involved in mechanical issues (they are electric and electronics people). But I hope to get reply on the sizes of hydraulic unit, its ability for quick switch fm auto to manual, etc. Will share how all these developed./ik

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
.............Hence the idea of linear drive. I will have a meeting with local Raymarine guys to discuss this issue but they in generally do not get involved in mechanical issues (they are electric and electronics people)..............
Good plan to discuss the autopilot installation with your local Raymarine dealer. My local Raymarine dealer did the mechanical work associated with hydraulic linear drive replacement (due to a clutch failure), including sourcing custom fabricated hydraulic lines but they were not cheap and they are on the clock from the time they leave their shop until they return..........it was a very professional installation and they calibrated it during a sea trial.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
You must be reading other sources than I. I'm sure there have been some Edson wire to chain failures, but I am unaware of them. Regardless, I think you are on a good course with Raymarine. BTW, while you are at it, how about calling Edson to discuss your concerns and get their take too?

Irek

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Vancouver BC
Hi Rick
Tku yr feedback. You know how it goes: you have one problem, three tech guys and five opinions. But good idea to talk to Edison. Need to find if they have any tech person in my area./ik

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi Rick
Tku yr feedback. You know how it goes: you have one problem, three tech guys and five opinions. But good idea to talk to Edison. Need to find if they have any tech person in my area./ik
Lots of boats equipped with Edson steering, including my O’Day 322. Never had an issue in her 30 years. And if I did, I have an emergency tiller that engages with the rudder shaft directly, bypassing the chain and cable.

A linear AP is way better than a Wheel Pilot (which is what I assume you mean by “rotary” AP, but it is also Way more expensive and WAY harder to install.

Greg

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
@Irek I have a Hunter 40.5 with a Type 2 Rotary Drive that I installed in the steering column as you call it. The boat is designed for it and it is a straighforward install including the rudder reference. I have never had a problem with it and love it. I too have an emergency tiller that I can use if I need to. (and @Tally Ho a rotary drive is not a wheel pilot - it is a rotary drive motor that turns a chain that is attached to a sprocket on the wheel shaft extension directly, all inside the binnacle). There are failure modes to the hydraulic drive too so no system is fool proof. There was a long discussion on this some time ago. From a $ standpoint I think you'll find the rotary drive much less expensive than the hydraulic drive if you include not only the equipment but the installation cost too. Your money might be better spend on budgeting for periodic inspection and maintenance on the steering components, which you should do anyway, even if you have the linear drive. Just IMHO. Your milage may vary. By the way, I can probably did up the source for the sprockets I ordered. There are pictures on the 40.5 Owner Mods section of this site of the install done by Rick Stidger. I'm happy with my install and it has proven to be a reliable system.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
@Irek I have a Hunter 40.5 with a Type 2 Rotary Drive that I installed in the steering column as you call it. The boat is designed for it and it is a straighforward install including the rudder reference. I have never had a problem with it and love it. I too have an emergency tiller that I can use if I need to. (and @Tally Ho a rotary drive is not a wheel pilot - it is a rotary drive motor that turns a chain that is attached to a sprocket on the wheel shaft extension directly, all inside the binnacle). There are failure modes to the hydraulic drive too so no system is fool proof. There was a long discussion on this some time ago. From a $ standpoint I think you'll find the rotary drive much less expensive than the hydraulic drive if you include not only the equipment but the installation cost too. Your money might be better spend on budgeting for periodic inspection and maintenance on the steering components, which you should do anyway, even if you have the linear drive. Just IMHO. Your milage may vary. By the way, I can probably did up the source for the sprockets I ordered. There are pictures on the 40.5 Owner Mods section of this site of the install done by Rick Stidger. I'm happy with my install and it has proven to be a reliable system.
Thanks, never heard about that design.
Always learning something.

Greg

Irek

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Vancouver BC
Hey guys

Many thx for great advise. We always learn something and that what the Forum is for. As I have also the whole nav gear to install (boat came with portable Garmin GPS only) I may have to go with rotary system which comes from Raymarine (my selection for nav package). I just fear of the usual "interfacing" different systems. So looks like like one system is driving the other requirements.
Because of the above, I would love to have contact to Rick Stidger. Smoky, can you send me his contact? Problem is that we have a huge duties to pay here in Canada on everything that comes from US, but I may have no choice. Many thx./ik

Irek

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Vancouver BC
Thx guys. Rick, the link to Rich did not work for me. Forum would not recognize him. Any email address that I could use?/ik

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
@Irek , be patient, the page took a while to come up. Another option for you to send @Rich Stidger a PM would be to click on the envelope icon on the upper right of the screen (next to the alert button), then click on "Send a Private Message". When you type "Rich", you'll be able to select him. :beer:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Thx guys. Rick, the link to Rich did not work for me. Forum would not recognize him. Any email address that I could use?/ik
FYI, I also sent him an e-mail to visit this page.

Irek

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Vancouver BC
Hey Rick, Rich
Tku yrs. Seems we are in contact. Greatly appreciate yr assistance./ik

Irek

Feb 28, 2021
Hunter 40.5 Vancouver BC
@Irek , be patient, the page took a while to come up. Another option for you to send @Rich Stidger a PM would be to click on the envelope icon on the upper right of the screen (next to the alert button), then click on "Send a Private Message". When you type "Rich", you'll be able to select him. :beer:
Thx Kappykaplan. I am still learning the ropes on this Forum./ik