Autopilot for 30T

Rxsail

Mar 25, 2018
Hunter 30T Lake Norman
I would like advice on choosing an autopilot for my 30T. We have no intention of long cruising, have no high-tech navigation equipment, so no need for any interface, etc. Basically I just want something to hold a course long enough to raise or adjust a sail, maybe a drink or snack retrieval, or answer a nature call. I had a tiller pilot on an older Catalina that worked great for this (not a wheeled steered boat, so this is slightly more complicated). They all seem to offer much more than I need. Suggestions?
Thanks

BobH57

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter 410 Solomons, MD
If you're a bit of a geek, the cheapest route would be Raspberry Pi with Pypilot. Check for videos on YouTube regarding this. Otherwise, CPT would be the next least expensive. CPT Autopilot Inc.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Not too many choices for a wheel-equipped boat... unless you are going to go with a below deck ram (More expensive).
CPI makes one...

Raymarine Wheel Pilot is the most prolific..

My boat has an older Raymarine ST4000+ wheel pilot. She holds a compass heading, but is not tied into my wind instrument data, so, she cannot hold a wind angle (helpful when raising and lowering the main sail). One day I will upgrade my wind instrument and get the wind data to the AP.

Greg

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
We have the previous iteration of the Raymarine EV-100 and it sounds like we use it in a similar manner to how you're planning. We don't stress it and it really only sees occasional use but it's invaluable when needed - typically when single handing, under power for long runs or when setting/dousing sails. We also haven't integrated it into any of our instruments, so I can't speak to that functionality. It was a very straight forward installation and it's performed without any issues for 8-9 seasons. I only have 2 criticisms and they are strictly cosmetic at this stage - the silver/gray paint on the circular assembly that attaches to the wheel is starting to fail and there's a small rubber boot cover to protect the harness to the drive assembly - that degraded after the first season (leaves stubborn black marks whenever you touch it). To be fair, we don't have a binnacle/wheel cover so those parts have been exposed to direct sun at least 8 months of the year. Would buy one again.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
If you're a bit of a geek, the cheapest route would be Raspberry Pi with Pypilot. Check for videos on YouTube regarding this. Otherwise, CPT would be the next least expensive. CPT Autopilot Inc.
Raymarine Ev100 can be found for a around $800 with the rebate going on now. CPT , standard mount, guardrail contol mount and a spare belt is $2010 shipped. I have one sitting in my living room that arrived yesterday.
I‘d buy a used Autohelm for what you are looking for. I has a very old Autohelm 3000 that I used for the same thing. I ungraded for more capabilities and will keep it as a back up. I wanted something during singlehanded sailing when things go bad and un balanced which the 3000 couldn’t handle.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My boat has an older Raymarine ST4000+ wheel pilot. She holds a compass heading, but is not tied into my wind instrument data, so, she cannot hold a wind angle (helpful when raising and lowering the main sail). One day I will upgrade my wind instrument and get the wind data to the AP.
Greg
My 30T has the same setup. I use it exactly how the OP wants to. Wind compensation would be nice though

Dec 28, 2015
Yea looks like I got my wires a little crossed. I was pricing radars also. The best I could find with the $250 discount was in the low $900s

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I installed an Ev100 on my previous boat and my current one came with one. They work OK steering to a compass heading as long as the going is not too rough. I was considerably less impressed with it's ability to steer to a wind direction. A complete system, new, including the drive looks to cost about $1300 on Defender. Personally, I would be a bit leery about buying a used unit, given the wear and tear these units get.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I took my ~ 30 year old ST4000+ wheel pilot apart this week, including the gear box. Have to say I was a little worried when the 20 or so little plastic gears fell out on my workbench. But after looking at the parts and a little trial and error, I think the wheel pilot is as strong as it was when new. I am sure the newer units have better software, but not sure of the hardware is any better...

I took the wheel to the boat today and hooked it up...worked very well and much quieter than before...

I made a video of some of the interesting parts....

Cheers,

Greg

Dec 28, 2015
The wear and tear issues are why I went with the CPT. Got it out for the first time today. Just motoring but so far so good. The build quality is outstanding. The support is great. The drive unit was suppose to measure 1.5 inches from the bottom of my wheel. It ended up being about 3/8. I’m sure it was a measurement issue in my end. A single phone call had two replacement belts

19thol

May 2, 2014
Hunter 30 St.Petersburg, Fl
Also installed a Raymarine EV100 this year, works very well, and easy to install. Got it for $1000 from Defender, with rebate.