automatic steering hunter 23.5

Feb 15, 2015
hunter 23.5 kootenay lake
What is the most suitable automatic steering available for a 1994 Hunter 23.5?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I assume by the size of the boat you have tiller steering. Auto tiller steering is available through Simrad and Raymarine. They both work on the principles created by Autohelm. I personally have experience with the Raymarine St2000. Its built for boats up to 10,000 lbs. The difference in the ST1000 and mine, is the drive. The St1000 is belt driven and mine is screw and ball. Supposedly stronger and more reliable. Raymarine units can be networked with SeaTalk. It can also be remotely controlled with optional RF control box and control fob. I recommend doing a lot of research in which unit you would best benefit from, both for your boat and financially. Check all the major suppliers. I found the best price at the time was through Defender, but there are many others that might have a sale on. Please contact me via PM for more discussion if you wish.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I installed an ST1000 on a 1994 H23.5 with a cantilever mount to the vertical surface on the starboard side, just forward of the outboard. It worked flawlessly.

Attachments

May 2, 2014
Hunter 26 Home port Cape Coral
Johann
I have st2000 to install on my 96' h26. Was thinking of mounting on port side. Does your auto tiller get in way of motor access. Also how big of an extension did you require?
Where did you order parts.? Thanks in advance.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Johann
I have st2000 to install on my 96' h26. Was thinking of mounting on port side. Does your auto tiller get in way of motor access. Also how big of an extension did you require?
Where did you order parts.? Thanks in advance.
Larry,
I had a 6hp Tohatsu, and it did not interfere with the autopilot. It was close though, a bigger motor wouldn't have worked as well. I chose starboard so I could adjust the autopilot and outboard without changing position. The length of the extension was well within the raymarine cantilever mount length, you just cut it to size. I'm not sure where I got the parts, sorry...

Dec 8, 2011
Hunter 23.5 New Orleans
I chose to mount my autopilot on the port side so that I could easily access my outboard, and also so that the socket for the outboard alternator can be charging the battery while the outboard and auto pilot are both in use.

Kind regards

Hugh

Mar 9, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Alameda Ca.
I am interested in mounting an ST2000 on my 23.5. I wanted to order all the parts I needed at once. I was on the RayMarine site, kind of a mess. Tech support routed to a forum, which is also a mess. Online Chat that doesn't work. Called and was twice routed to tech support only to hear that they are only opened 8-5pm weekdays and please call back during those hours. I called at 11:00am Wednesday.

So, I'll ask here.... What do I need to order that does not come with a new st2000? I like the Cantilever mount for a starboard side install. But how do I know which bracket to order for the tiller? Does RayMarine know which bracket will work for 23.5? Is there anything else I will need? Am also planning to buy a GPS for the boat. Do any of the less expensive models use this Seatalk protocol? Is it worth it? Thanks!

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
For the bracket, it depends on how much of a drop you are going to have from the auto pilot tiller arm to the bottom of the tiller. Just make a rough measurement and get that size drop. When I installed mine, the tiller was sloping up at the point of attachment, so I had to bend the bracket slightly to make it level for the autotiller.

Mar 29, 2020
MacGregor 25 Nepean, Ontario
For the bracket, it depends on how much of a drop you are going to have from the auto pilot tiller arm to the bottom of the tiller. Just make a rough measurement and get that size drop. When I installed mine, the tiller was sloping up at the point of attachment, so I had to bend the bracket slightly to make it level for the autotiller.
Any thoughts on how I could make a bracket or where I can get a cheap one? Bought my used tiller pilot at our club's garage sale for $50, so I'd rather not spend $75 on the bracket. Can't seem to find it for less online but as I understand it, the brackets exact positioning is very key for the performance of the tiller pilot. Thanks in advance.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Any thoughts on how I could make a bracket or where I can get a cheap one? Bought my used tiller pilot at our club's garage sale for $50, so I'd rather not spend $75 on the bracket. Can't seem to find it for less online but as I understand it, the brackets exact positioning is very key for the performance of the tiller pilot. Thanks in advance.
I think if you can determine the thickness and width of the aluminum bracket you could get some bar stock from cut2sizemetals.com and the bend it to your needs.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I have a piece of aluminum (or aluminium), which you are welcome too.
To get it right, the procedure of build would be as follows:
1 File down sharp edges
2 Drill hole at one end for the pin stud
3 drill two holes at other end with counter sunk to receive rounded screws for attaching to tiller
4 measure the size of your pin and create a new one with a threaded bolt, two nuts and a spring washer. Once attached cut the end of the bolt off and file down round like the original pin. Test the fit with the extended rod of the auto pilot to make sure.
5 Bend the bar in a z shape
6 attach to the tiller at the correct pivot spot (go on line for the installation manual from Raymarine or Simrad) using the two inline holes.

For your convenience here is a drawing.

If you need one built, i think I have some spare time, being quarantined!!!!!

Attachments

Mar 29, 2020
MacGregor 25 Nepean, Ontario
I have a piece of aluminum (or aluminium), which you are welcome too.
To get it right, the procedure of build would be as follows:
1 File down sharp edges
2 Drill hole at one end for the pin stud
3 drill two holes at other end with counter sunk to receive rounded screws for attaching to tiller
4 measure the size of your pin and create a new one with a threaded bolt, two nuts and a spring washer. Once attached cut the end of the bolt off and file down round like the original pin. Test the fit with the extended rod of the auto pilot to make sure.
5 Bend the bar in a z shape
6 attach to the tiller at the correct pivot spot (go on line for the installation manual from Raymarine or Simrad) using the two inline holes.

For your convenience here is a drawing.

If you need one built, i think I have some spare time, being quarantined!!!!!
Thanks Robert, that's very kind of you. I'll send you a PM. Would certainly welcome any help you are willing to offer!