Autohelm

Mar 6, 2017
Bristol Corsair 24 Tampa
Hello again guys....
Well once again to get your opinions/wisdom on a different subject.
RAYMARINE autohelm 3000
Would be paired to a Garmin chartplotter(away from home by 800 miles no access to look at the unit in box) could they work together and if so what would not do(features)

Thx again...
C

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Autohelm 3000 has no way of connecting to any other component except a wired remote and I think a wind direction indicator both made specifically for the unit. The 3000 is in the realm of 30 years old. I just sold mine for $250 with a bunch of extra parts.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When reading the query, I had the same reaction as Mike. It was nice to learn that my hunch was in the right ball field.

Old aged electronics hardware had a difficult enough time talking to the designated company displays let alone attempt to translate across manufacturing platforms. The evolvement of NMEA 2000 has helped to break down the barriers of proprietary handling of signals and software systems by specific manufacturers.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I think the 3000 is designed for a wheel. Does your Bristol 24 have a wheel?

Dec 28, 2015
The Autohelm 3000 has seatalk compatibility(http://www.busse-yachtshop.de/pdf/rayST3000_wheel.pdf). It can receive and transmit seatalk commands. The Raymarine converter( Raymarine SeaTalk1 to SeaTalk NG Converter Kit) may be used to interface to the Garmin Nmea2000.
The pdf is for a ST3000. They have a digital read out compared to the 3000 that does not and also only has connections for the drive motor, wired remote and wind vane. I don’t know the connections for the ST but it must have additional for coms

Apr 27, 2010
Beneteau 352 Hull #276 Ontario
The pdf is for a ST3000. They have a digital read out compared to the 3000 that does not and also only has connections for the drive motor, wired remote and wind vane. I don’t know the connections for the ST but it must have additional for coms
Yes you are correct, I assumed it was the st3000. The 3000 http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/serviceguides/autohelm3000.pdf is much older. It appears it has a Radio Navigation Interface that plugs into the course computer port. Probably not available anymore.
It uses NMEA 0183 crosstrack error statements (data) to correct its steering. If you had this box you could hook up the nmea 0183 to the Garmin.
It would be better to upgrade the Autohelm if he wants to interface with his Garmin.
As a side note this site Adding wireless remote to a old Autohelm 3000 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums has pictures of the inside of the AH300.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2015
I really liked the simplicity of my 3000 but it was not capable of keeping course under adverse conditions. I like autopilots for the conscience, I need them for when things get tough and I’m by myself. This is why I decided to upgrade to a CPT and sell the 3000. I kept it for a while as a back up but quickly realized that it was unnecessary.