Autohelm motor/gearbox issues

Bogart

Mar 13, 2018
Hunter 45CC Queensland
Hi all. Bogart is a 2007 Hunter 45CC. We have Whitlock steering system with a Raymarine ST7002 autohelm and a Lewmar Mamba drive motor to drive the rudder. As reported by others, I believe the clutch in the gearbox has failed, leading to the gears not engaging when I activate the autohelm. I am trying to remove the Mamba unit to see if I can repair/replace the wiring to the clutch, but can't work out how to remove it. There is a panel in the front of the pedestal, but it seems that the unit is too wide to fit through the opening with the cover off. Attached are some photos. Is there some way I can get this out through the panel, or am I going to have to remove the whole pedestal? Or maybe will it drop through the base of the pedestal under the cockpit if I remove the universal joint on the steering rod? Suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers
View attachment 184102View attachment 184103View attachment 184104

colemj

Jul 13, 2004
Dolphin Catamaran Dolphin 460 Mystic, CT
It looks like if you disconnect the shaft joint and remove the 4 bolts from the backing plate, then the drive unit will come out of the pedestal opening.

Mark