Autohelm 3000 Replacement

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I'm looking to replace my Autohelm. Yup the thing has be be 20+ years old. It came with the boat (not working) I serviced the motor and replaced the compass. It works well under light conditions but struggles with heavier winds. I like the looks of the CPT units being a comparable system replacement and basic. I was a little surprised they are slightly more expensive than the EV 100 and feel it is over sized for my needs. This isn't to much of a deal breaker though. I'm not too interested in system integrations being I wont be doing any long passage stuff but will probably look into upgrading my instruments in the future (wind, speed, depth). Wheel steering.
The main reason for replacement is for single handed sailing. Normal use is putting sails up and down trimming but I need/want a system that can take over in the event of a lengthy repair while alone and in heavy weather. Linear is out of the price range I believe.
I'm interested in your thoughts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I'm not too interested in system integrations
Mike, I have an ST3000, too. If I ever have to get a replacement, I'd go for the CPT, hands down. I met the owners many years ago when I lived in California, great guys, great product. Also just occurred tome that the EV requires a LOT more wiring.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mike, I am so far pleased with my EV100. Your boat is more suited for it than mine - Displacement. size and sail area being the factors considered.

I have been pleased with the EV100. Certainly the electronics appear solid after 3 years. The weak point on the unit is the wheel motor and the wheel steering system. I have sailed in 15-18 knots with 4 foot following seas and the unit managed to keep the boat on course and under control. But I began to consider the load the conditions were placing on the AP.
I had left Pt Browning in the Canadian Gulf Islands.
IMG_2989.JPG
Headed for Port Townsend. The EV100 was then 8 months in service. Finally taking over manually as I finished the last third of my trip across the Juan D'Fuca. I was 6 miles from Admiralty Inlet. It was a grand day for sailing. Here is SV Hadley approaching Pt Wilson, captured by a photographer somewhere on the hill overlooking Port Townsend.
IMG_0800.jpeg

At the end of last season I was cruising in the Sound and discovered the belt in the wheel system as not releasing. Had to force steer the boat to dock. I think it had to do with the arm used to lock the wheel belt tight. I purchased a replacement from a Canadian 3D printer guy. I've installed it for the 2020 season but have not been able to test it. We will see and I'll give you a shout on how it worked out. He said the material he used was stronger than the plastic used by Raymarine.

There are a number of Internet reports on issues with the "Autohelm" 4000 part of the EV100. The comments focus around the cog and idler wheels of the belt drive. They are set in plastic and with wear they break down. It is a 1200-1000 Boat Buck valued piece of hardwear. You would not expect it to "break down" do to "plastic" parts.

Jun 21, 2014
Freedom 32 Venice
While I have a working (knock on wood) 3000. I often see 4000, 5000, 6000 and 7000 used models for sale. Does it make sense to simply upgrade to one of these ?

Oct 22, 2014
The CPT system was a consideration. There are a lot of power driven exposed belts and cogs that concerned me. On the plus side the unit looks solid.

Dec 28, 2015
I wouldn't mind upgrading to a wheel mounted drive unit if it would connect to my existing control box but I don't think they connect. I think I would go with a new system as a primary over a new, used one. I'd keep my existing system as a back up and if I ever sell the boat, reinstall it as the primary. This would be a positive for going with the CPT I think given the installation.

Dec 28, 2015
The CPT system was a consideration. There are a lot of power driven exposed belts and cogs that concerned me. On the plus side the unit looks solid.
yea, its ether a protected system under deck and triple the cost, wheel mounted system with weaker, plastic components for the CPT system with exposed and larger foot print system. I would like to see a CPT system designed for a smaller boat.

Oct 22, 2014
Would be an interesting concept. I wonder if it is possible to modify (strengthen re engineer) the wheel unit of the EV100.

Dec 28, 2015
Would be an interesting concept. I wonder if it is possible to modify (strengthen re engineer) the wheel unit of the EV100.
I have a hard time buying a system at cost with the expectation of that when I could go with a system for about 600 more and be bullet proof. I keep hesitating on the CPT system with the thought of a fully integrated electronics suite but the truth is I sail in the Puget sound where a integrated nav/autopilot system would not be utilized, I believe. Compass heading system seems to be all I would use it for. You run out of open water fairly quick out here.

Dec 28, 2015
A bullet proof, stand alone system is very appeasing for single handed sailing. The CPT system would be about 2200 plus shipping

Oct 22, 2014
No argument here about the ideal of a bullet proof system, at a "reasonable" cost.

So far I have proven to myself that a reliable AP is an essential upgrade for solo sailing. I define solo sailing as sailing solo or sailing with my spouse who is not a sailor but participates in the cruising.

Being able to leave the helm and attend the sails or cruise under auxiliary power for 5 hours is worth the cost of acquisition and installation. When sailing in certain open waters I am hoping that the Windvane will prove itself worthy as an alternate and power miser tool.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I've been using my EV100 for about 3 years also. So far, no problems. It's integrated with an E7D chartplotter. The wheel is plastic but haven't had any issues yet but you have to be deliberate about disengaging, may compromise the plastic parts. I don't use it in heavy conditions but those are fairly rare. Agree that it's the most useful upgrade I've made. A must for single handed sailing.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
The wheel drive is certainly the weak link of the Raymarine, formerly Autohelm wheel pilot systems. I've had an Autohelm 4000, and upgraded the wheel drive with metal fasteners replacing the plastic studs for the idler wheels, and did it on a friend's as well. And even so, it was eventually impossible to get the clutch to work properly. I always thought of Autohelm stuff to be flimsy, toy-like, even their linear drives, with plastic gears that strip.

A below decks solution is certainly more expensive, but you get a lot more functionality than a wheel pilot. First, it's stronger, and out of the way. Second, and perhaps more important, it adds a valuable backup steering system in the event that your wheel steering system fails. If a cable breaks, chain breaks, cable comes off a pulley, sheave jams, etc., the AP can steer the boat while you address the issue, or even get you all the way into port or an anchorage. With a wheel pilot, if the wheel steering fails, you have to resort to the emergency tiller. If you are single-handing, you're screwed.

If an AP is just a fair winds convenience gizmo, sure, get a wheel pilot. If you depend on it when single handing, and need it to work in tough conditions, and back up a broken wheel steering system, spend the money and get a below decks system.

If you think you will get a wheel pilot and someday upgrade to a below decks actuator, don't get the EV-100, as it won't drive the clutch on the actuator; get the EV-200.

I like the Simrad SD10 Mechanical Drive Unit, as it seems easiest to install. $1,500. You will still need a tiller arm, which isn't cheap; Edson bronze tiller arm is about $500. This in addition to the AP package, EV-200 is about $1,600, so $3,600, and then there's installation. That's about 63% more than the CPT system.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
How do you disengage a below decks AP.?
i have alsways had a wheel pilot, that uses a clutch on the wheel to disengage the AP.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
There's an electrically actuated clutch in the below decks drive, that allows it to be engaged and disengaged by the autopilot control unit.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
There's an electrically actuated clutch in the below decks drive, that allows it to be engaged and disengaged by the autopilot control unit.
Thanks.
A boat I really like is the Beneteau 373, and there must be some issue with adding a wheel pilot to the “pivoting” steering wheel...and so every boat I have looked at has a below deck AP.

Greg