Autohelm 3000 power plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2010
88 Hunter 30 Solomons, MD
I recently purchased an autohelm 3000 from eBay. It did not come with the boat side power plug. It looks like it uses a Dri-plug, and I've looked at Driplug.com, but so far I haven't found one that looks like it will fit. I'd be ok with replacing the end with something else, but I haven't found a schematic the shows which wire is hot. Anyone have an idea where I could find the plug, or which wire is hot?

Thanks,

Brian

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
What I did with mine is to take the DriPlug apart, the red wire is + the black is -. Given the condition of that plug, you may want to consider simply buying a whole new DriPlug assembly and putting them both in.

wetass

Mar 9, 2011
CS 36T Seattle
If I remember correctly - Brown was positive. But take that with a grain of salt as its been a while since I changed the plug out and honestly, you may find there is no brown wire ;-) This is off memory and its fading. My guess is that it will simply run backward if you wire it wrong.

Feb 26, 2004
Good post, thanks. I got one right, the black is -. Doh...

Apr 16, 2010
88 Hunter 30 Solomons, MD
Wow. I must have looked at that manual on Raymarine's site 5 times and still managed to miss the part about the brown being the hot wire. I also like the "no damage will result if you hose the wiring up" part.

I think I'll be hooking it up to a battery to bench test tomorrow. I will also take the advice on a new plug. I'm sure West Marine has something that will work.

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
I just Googled driplug. Try it. Looks like only UK now. There's gotta be other sources, like RVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.