Auto Radiator Flush for engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ernie tetrault

While changing the zincs in my Yanmar 2QM15 (raw water cooled) engine, I noticed that despite the zincs being there, there is quite a build up of rust in the cooling jackets. I was wondering if it's safe to use radiator flush as you would for your car run through the system to try and clean out some of these rust deposits. Anyone had expeience with this? (or any othe rides to clean it up?) Thanks. Ernie

P

Pete

engine flush

Using a flush of any kind in a raw water cooled engine is just like pouring it over the side of the boat, you need to let a flush circulate at operating temperature for five to fifteen minutes. So unless you can rig a way to recycle the flush back into the engine it won't do much good,there is also an envirmental concern with dumping the flush agent into the water. If you try to set up a recycle system be careful not to everheat in engine.Rust on the water jacket are most often associated with bad gaskets and age. Might just as well bite the bullet and take it apart andclean it. Hope this helps

E

Ernie tetrault

slight ammendment to original post

I forgot to mention, that I would of course be running the concoction through a closed system, and properly disposed of.

Status
Not open for further replies.