auto pilot gear drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
I dont have autopilot and it is something I would lke to add.................I would need a chain drive to the wheel...............I would like to purchase used but I have not been able to find a complete used system...............If I was to go with new...........what would you purchase....keep in mind that I am bit cheap...(430 Hunter)

thanks

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Frugal, not cheap.

A wheel drive is simply too small for your boat in anything but benign conditions.

You should consider a linear drive, below deck unit.

Good luck.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I have a Raymarine type two rotary drive and that would probably be what you would have. An autopilot is not cheap, adding in he course computer etc. If you could fit a linear drive that might be better but I doubt cheaper. Cheap is not an option. You have a 430 and you still have "cheap" in your vocabulary? Come on. You need about 5 boat units for an autopilot.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Have a Raymarine type tow rotary drive on a 40.5 legend. Works great but like others have said they aint cheap.
Now if you really want cheap the go with the wind vane type which you can build yourself from internet plans and some pvc piping and odd bits of metal and wood. Uses the power of the water to deflect a rod which pulls a line that turns the rudder quadrant.
http://www.selfsteer.com/windvaneVAutopilot/

and of course the silly solution
http://beijaflorbeyondthesunset.wordpress.com/2012/09/02/otto-the-autopilot/
there is also the sheet to tiller option (go ahead poo poo me)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I purchased the rotary drive off ebay and ended up purchasing the control unit seperate. You can shop around and these parts will show up from time to time.

Dec 14, 2011
Navicula 430 Hunter Toronto
You guys are right .... I am willing to go with the 5 boat bucks.... But I am cheap.... Just ask my wife and kids......however is raymarine your choice...?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
All my other stuff was Raymarine so it was the logical choice for me. Also, you are probably set up for their Type II Rotary Drive. Don't know about other manufacturers.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Here is what you need to do

I dont have autopilot and it is something I would lke to add.................I would need a chain drive to the wheel...............I would like to purchase used but I have not been able to find a complete used system...............If I was to go with new...........what would you purchase....keep in mind that I am bit cheap...(430 Hunter)

thanks
I believe the 430 was designed like the 40.5 insofar that it was meant to have a rotary drive in the cockpit wine cooler locker that extends from the wheel shaft with an extra gear & chain.
If this is the case, do not consider a linear drive. Only go with the rotary.
To confirm this, contact Hunter, and get the specs for the original autopilot install.
Next,
Go with either the Raymarine S3g or X30x
Do not consider anything else. You will be wasting money, and it will never work.

I'm at Rcyc, and I'm glad to help you with advice if you need

Status
Not open for further replies.