Auto or Marine Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Will

I have an 1984 H34 with a 20 HP Yanmar and would like to have an alternator with a higher output. Specifically to allow my air conditioner to run for extended periods of time away from shore. A Balmar with regulator runs about $1000.00. A 200 Amp automotive with a built in regulator is around $200.00. I am aware of the differences between automotive and marine alternator: pulleys, spark arrestors and three stage voltage regulation. Is there any reason I should not choose the less expensive alternative?

E

Ed Allen

It seems like you answered your own question but

You may want to have the one you have rebuilt. I just had mine done for 85 bucks.

W

Will

Tell me more Ed.

Are you saying I can have my 55 AMP Hitachi sp. rebuilt to produce 200 amps? If so who do I contact?

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
HO alternator reduces power too.

Will: You need to be careful with how large of an alternator you try to use. The larger the alternator, the more horse power it will rob from you engine. If you are running a 2GM20 on a 34 you are already short on power. There is a fellow down in Marathon Fl. that has marinized Delco alternators and they only run about $300. I was just at the Sail Expo in Oakland, CA. and Balmar was there. They have a package that sell for about $500 with an external regulator with the built in controls for heat and start up low draw features. Your other option may be to do something where you install a second alternator just to run your AC when you do not need your engine for motoring........ Of course I have no idea if there is any room for something like this in your engine compartment.

W

Will

ED I Think

Thanks, I think mine is a 3M. It has 3 cylinders. Any Idea who the Delco Marinatization guy is. I will aslo send an e-mail to Balmar. Thank you for your input.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Will, if you 'think' you have a 3gm, you have a

long way to go when it comes to alternators. For one thing, if you are trying to power AC with an alternator from a Yanmar, well, you are going to find out what belt smoke looks like. Then you will learn to remove and rebuild your alternator, a lot. I've only seen one 3gm30 with two belts driving the alternator. That was special custom stuff. Unless you use two belts, your practical output limit is about 70 amps. Oh, alternator output is determined by the stator. The stator with the most capacity possible for your housing costs about $20.00. (assuming you've bought a Balmar) It'll be a General Motors alternator with a Yanmar mount. Save your cash, find a good shop. I've been to that Marathon shop. They still need some competition. P.S. A marine alternator is the same as one for cars, unless it's installed on a gasoline engine. Then it has spark arrestors.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Gloucester
Ferris Alternator

I installed a 125 amp alternator and regulator from Hamilton Ferris Company on my H-34 with a 3GM30 engine. This was several years ago and I don't recall the actual price but it was much less than most other such products. The only trouble I have had was when lightning struck the boat while on my way from the Chesapeake Bay to Florida. It knocked out the voltage regulator. I call the Ferris company and they shipped one to me overnight. I simply plugged in the new regulator and continued on my way. Bob Cree

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Bob, I've seen their ads, didn't know they also

sold alternators. The web site is right to the point. But no prices given. But, for my Balmar, to reproduce it, no more than $100.00 MAX. I can rebuild it for $25. And that's a slam on Balmar! 1K? No way.

J

John Tesoriero

Wiring harness?

Yanmar sells a special (heavier) wiring harness that they recommend when you upgrade to a larger alternator. Check with Yanmar or a good mechanic.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
John, I think he should save the trouble and the

money. The stock harness contains the charge wire from the output terminal of the alternator then leads to the battery terminal on the starter motor. It's about a foot long, Max. It's also #10 wire. Way too small for a large alternator. Solution? Wire up a battery cable. It doesn't have to be in the harness. Cost? Couple of bucks. Oh, the field wire size is not critical. But if the alternator rotor is huge and needs more than 4 amps, three stage regulators already take care of that.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
the odds

chances for long-term success using a 20hp engine to run AC via alternator with stock wiring harness = 0% chances for long-term success using a 20hp engine to run AC via alternator with custom wiring harness = 0%

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
Thanks John F.

Will, I forgot to address your original question and desires. Forget it, can't be done.

K

ken

high amp alt.

WILL..... I have great info on the alt. that you can use. e-mail me at kmsail2@optonline.net and I can fax or scan the info to you. IT can out of my old 34 KEN

R

R

3gmf30 w/2belts

After reading thru this post I thought I'd run this by the collective and hey Fred I am contimplating installing a 100+ amp alt. Been doing some research and the two belt setup sounds like what I will do. Getting the side load off the water pump and transferring the hp needed. You mention seeing a setup like this. Whats your knowledge on getting the pulleys needed. Or Toothed belt? I like the Balmar w a smart regulator. My house bank (450 amp hr)and starter batt are separated now so the dual output alt is also a possibility.

Dec 2, 2003
- - Seabeck WA
R. The setup in question had a siamesed pulley

on both the water pump and the crank. The crank pulley was machined so that the drive portion of the added pulley was cheek to cheek with the crank pulley. In other words, the center hub had been removed. The water pump just had another pulley bolted against it. (same pulley, only two of them) It worked to drive the alternator with two belts but precluded the installation of a PTO. Steve, your link is different folks than I remember. Prices are in line too.

Status
Not open for further replies.