Auto helm Beneteau 381

Feb 11, 2021
Beneteau Oceanis 381 Charleston
What part holds the chain wheel in place in the steering pedestal? See photo. There is a threaded tap, but I’m not sure what I’m looking for here. I just bought the vessel and this part was missing causing when auto pilot not to work. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

Is this a Raymarine autopilot and do you have a model number? Once we know that then we can download the manual and parts diagram. Otherwise might contact the manufacturer for parts diagram.

Feb 11, 2021
B&G - I looked in the manual that was in the paperwork but it seemed to be just for chartplotter.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Welcome !
From what I can see, it looks like a Raymarine rotary drive:
Raymarine Smartpilot - Drive Unit Selection
Ya might be able to find some info on their web site as to how the sprocket is retained..
EDIT: looking at the pulley, it looks like the sprocket keyway is not aligned with the keyway in the drive? Key sheared off?
Ya may have to click on the "rotary mechanical" drive section

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Just looking at the picture, but not familiar with your boat, I want to say it looks like a key is missing and the sprocket is held on by an oversized washer and a bolt into the threaded hole.

TAK

Nov 29, 2009
Beneteau 381 Punta Gorda
Attached photo shows the washer and bolt that holds the gear on. Use loctite on the bolt. Had the rotary drive at home for the second time in 10 years to take it apart and rebond a couple of the magnets to the motor housing.
381A064B-617D-433B-B3EA-4F5C49ECE08B.jpeg

Feb 11, 2021
Attached photo shows the washer and bolt that holds the gear on. Use loctite on the bolt. Had the rotary drive at home for the second time in 10 years to take it apart and rebond a couple of the magnets to the motor housing.View attachment 190408
Awesome. Thank you! My sprocket is larger and I’m missing the stainless steel bolt. I got it to work earlier today by screwing in the set screw on the sprockets in tighter. It works but makes a bit of noise — the chain sounds like it gets hung up at certain points.

TAK

Nov 29, 2009
Beneteau 381 Punta Gorda
See attached install guide. Sprocket differs by installation/type steering gear. Drawing shows the size for the key but I did not see the specs for the bolt. Perhaps tech support can help. (At the dock) Remove the chain and run the auto pilot left/right to see if the noise goes away.

Attachments