Auto helm advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2005
Catalina 30 Downtown//Shoreline Marina, Long Beach
Which auto helm would you recommend for an '83 C-30? What's your opinion/review of the Raymarine SmartPilot X-5? Thank you.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Had an Autohelm ST4000 on the 30 and have one on the 310 now. Never had a problem on either. Easy to use, easy to make minor adjustments in course without problems and it stays on course for the most part in mild to moderate conditions. I always have it off in heavier weather though do i cant tell you how it handles in those conditions.

Easy maintenance when needed, too.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I have a Raymarine S1. The X-5 is a newer version.

I have over 1000 hours on my autohelm and it works great. I love it.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Fitted a SPX 5 about 12 months ago. Relatively easy to install. Use it currently only to ‘point & shoot’. Holds the course well beating and in following seas. Have not tried it it in over 2 m waves/swells. Auto tack is a great help with solo sailing.

Oct 3, 2005
Fitted a SPX 5 about 12 months ago. Relatively easy to install. Use it currently only to ‘point & shoot’. Holds the course well beating and in following seas. Have not tried it it in over 2 m waves/swells. Auto tack is a great help with solo sailing.
Did you install it yourself and, if so, how did you do it?

Oct 3, 2005
According to the article, should take an "average" yachtie only four hours, not: "...it's about a day's work." I'm getting a quote from Stan Morse (Bigwater Marine Electronic) who works weekends at WM in ABM. I'll forward the quote.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I don't know if the X-5 has one or not but I'd like to see how long it takes the average yachtie to install only the rudder position sensor. Anyone who has been through it will know what I'm talkin' about.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
The rudder position sensor is a bitch! That was the worst part of the project when I put the S1 on my Catalina 30. I ended up having a slit cut into the back of the rudder box and you access it from the rear lazzerette. It has a 90 degree metal bracket that the sensor mounts to. The sensor hangs upside down. At one time I posted some pictures and a diagram of this.

I thought that the X-5 didn't need the position sensor like the S1 did.

Oct 3, 2005
Well, bottom line, I want the X-5 installed, and since I'm a certified electronic Luddite, I'm at the mercy of the pros, but I'm hiring a "top gun" on solid recommendation.

Jul 1, 2009
Did you install it yourself and, if so, how did you do it?
Yes, installed it myself with some help from this forum and quite a bit of patience. Otherwise, just followed instructions in the manual.
Most difficult part was threading wires thru pedestal guard and cockpit floor.

As you can see from attached pic, the Pilot Controller housing is mounted separately on the guardrail. At the time I thought it’d be cheaper and easier. In hindsight I probably would have been better off by replacing my existing Navpod with one that could accommodate the Pilot Controller , at not much extra cost. But I was also keen on getting it all fixed for my purposes and go sailing.
Consequently, I do not at the moment have the Pilot Controller connected to the other instruments and therefore lack the automatic Windvane/angle mode. However, that would only need connection of a wire. GPS, when required, can be connected to the Course Computer, which I located under the Nav table.

Things to watch: Placement of compass distant from ferrous metals, motor wire is not very long, ensure there is enough space for drive motor and clutch.

You will find many different ideas in posts in the 310 and other forums regarding installation of the Pilot Controller, Drive Motor (some routed their connections thru the Engine Display panel), Fluxgate Compass and Course Computer. Some prefer to add a rudder sensor. You may be able to adapt these thoughts to your C30.

Commissioning and subsequent adjustments are easy. Happy to answer any questions
PS. Being totally unqualified, it took me about 3 half days on a swing mooring.

Attachments

Oct 3, 2005
Where did you buy the system? Amazon sells 'em for just over a grand with 20 buck shipping.

Jul 1, 2009
Bought it here in Sydney, where it is still A$1900. Today, with A$ near parity with US$ would buy by email from over there. Have had excellent service from Catalina Direct and Sailboatowners(or is it Hunter?). The latter are selling the unit (one left ) for about US$ 1500. Don’t know Amazon – price sounds like a ‘steal’. Make sure it is the complete pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.