Auto bilge pump

Oct 16, 2012
Hunter Legend 37 Halifax
I thought my auto bilge pump was broken. However when I creased the wires back to the panel and broke the circuit and reconnected it works for five seconds and then stopped. I had to put water in the bilge before hand to make sure that there was enough there to set it off automatically. Why would it only work for five seconds and then stop. Each time I break and then reconnect the circuit that runs for five seconds.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
I have one of those, it works by running for a few seconds every once in a while. If it has to pump water then the motor will consume more current than if it is pumping air.

So pumping effort instead of a float switch is how water is detected.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Had one of those but it ran at measured intervals of every two minutes for two seconds to test for water resistance on the impeller. If there was no water resistance it ran the equivalent of 1 minute per hour so the power consumption was minimal. When it encountered water resistance it would then run until the water was expelled and resistance was at a minimum and then would shut itself off. When pumping water power consumption was the same but for a longer duration. The pump was necessary on a shallow bilge boat which would not accommodate the arm travel needed for a float switch.