Attaching a Cleat

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

phlocker

I would like to secure a line from the bottom of the tiller arm to a cleat on the deck to hold the tiller in the straight position if i have to go forward and am out of tiller reach. Can i just screw a cleat in or do i have to nut and bolt it. Dont know how'd i do that...any suggestions to keep the the tiller in the straight postion??

sean33

Jan 24, 2005
Hunter 170 Sayville, NY
Davis Tiller Tamer

I recently bought a Davis Tiller Tamer for my 170(see link). It requires that you install two clam cleats which I haven't done yet. So far I have just tied it off to the two rear docking cleats and it works great. I installed it on the bottom side of the tiller so as not to interfere with the tiller extension. Tiller moves freely until you tighten the knob. I do intend to install the clam cleats, so if anyone can comment on how to do it on an ABS plastic hull I am interested.

P

Paul Duggan

Clove Hitch

I use a simple clove hitch around the tiller and tie it off to the two stern cleats. I don't like to add hardware to my 147 and it is cheaper. The idea is the same as the Sean's usage of the Tiller Tamer, only the clove hitch replaces the tamer on the tiller. I have had a tamer on my Cape Dory Typhoon and it worked very well--but I find the hitch line works as well if not better. Better because the hitch will give a bit if the pressure to remain on course is too much. i.e. it will allow the boat to turn somewhat into the wind gusts while you are forward. The righting movement lessens the heel.

Jan 24, 2008
Alerion Express 28 Oneida Lake, NY
CLOVE HITCH WITH A SLIP

Paul… Good suggestion!!! Most of the sailing done on our h260 is single handed, so tieing off the tiller was learned long ago. I use plain, uncoated cotton clothesline. It’s very easy to tie and untie and also very easy on the hands. Its lack of strength isn’t critical in this application. I put a snug loop on the tiller and tie-off to the stern rail, which you may not have. Just reverse the process and make fast to whatever is handy and then tie the clove hitch on the tiller. However, I strongly urge you to tie the clove hitch with a slip. The slightest tug you put on the bitter end will cause the hitch to fall apart immediately. Paul s/v The Lord Nelson

Mar 8, 2005
Hunter 170 Ventura, California
Clam clete attacment.....170

It was simple enough to do.......We mounted the tiller tamer upside down ! under the tiller itself, stretched the tiller line out to the sides and found the best postion possible to mount the cletes, using the hole patern in the clete we drilled two small holes. we put silicone on the screws and under side of the clam clete and mounted them. The Idea of mounting the tamer upside down was to keep the top of the tiller clean ! It works well.........

Mar 23, 2004
- - Paradise, CA
Bungee tiller holder...

I don't know what size boat you have. On my Geary 18 and my H216, I simply screwed in (and silicone sealed) a couple eye straps to a convenient place on the port/starboard sides. A bungee from one eye strap, a wrap around the tiller, then to the other eye strap holds just fine. Can't take a nap but I can move around the boat sufficiently...including a quick potty break.

P

phlocker

eye straps

like the idea. i have a hunter 146, nervous to screw/drill into the hull/fiberglass. will screws hold or do they need to be bolted from the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.