Atomic 4 transmission behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
I just finished moving the shift and throttle controls on my 1980 C-30 up onto the steering pedestal. The boat has the original A-4 engine with the integral transmission. I notice when I shift from neutral to forward, there is a definite feel of the transmission locking into gear. I don't feel that same effect when shifting into reverse. Is this normal or do I need to work on the cable or transmission adjustment? Bob Boller Benicia, CA

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Could be nothing

You won't feel the A-4 going into reverse. Actually on the A-4, there really is no reverse per-se. It is basically a metal band that tightens around a cylinder which stops it and causes the reversing gears to engage and spins the prop the other way. The only real indication that you're in reverse is the boat moving aft and a mild whining noise (which I was told is normal!) If you are able to reverse without any difficulty, then everything is probably OK. If not, the reversing gear may need to be adjusted. You can get the instructions through Moyermarine.com. It is a fairly simple process, especially on the C-30 since the gear box is accessible. I would have another person with you though since the adjustments are confirmed at the shifting lever. It will save you alot of trips up and down!! I just did some adjustments last month so I can send you instructions on how to adjust it if you like, however if everything is working fine, I wouldn't mess with it. If you haven't been on the Moyer site, check it out and sign up on the forums. Don usually answers every question within a few hours. It's a great resource for info and for parts. Jack Manning s/v Vicitm of Fate Atlantic City, NJ

Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
Thanks

Jack - Thanks. I'm a firm believer in "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". So, I'll leave things just as they are. The boat goes backwards just fine, so that's good enough for me. Bob

R

Rodger

adjusting the band

By all means learn how to adjust the band on that transmition. You most likely will have to do it every few years. good news, it's easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.