ATOMIC 4 OWNERS?

Jun 16, 2022
Islander Bahama 30 San Diego
Are there any boaters in the San Diego area operating with an Atomic 4 motor? I recently purchased an Islander Bahama with that motor and it and the boat itself is nothing short of a "start from scratch" project. It would be great and super helpful if I were able to see someone else set up and be able to compare notes. Thank you!

Jun 16, 2022
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I was aware of Moyer, but not the forum. I will definitely check that out. Even better than that would be actually finding someone local so that we could compare installations, etc. You know, the ole "misery loves company" thing?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
an Islander Bahama
Wow! That's the first "big boat" I ever sailed on, a sales demo one out of City Island, New York, in about 1979 or so. We hit a big rock! Ha, ha. I wasn't tuned in enough at the time to recognize or recall that it had a gas engine, but there you go. Enjoy!

Jun 16, 2022
That's cool, all but the grounding experience. That's one of the concerns I have after being a motor boater for so many years. Now I need to pay attention to channel markers!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You do - but remember you will not be going at power boat speeds. A grounding in sand or mud will not tear off your running gear. The keel is kinda a guard for the prop and rudder (That's why the rudder should have less draft than the keel). A hard grounding on rock, for instance, is another story even at low speed.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
You do - but remember you will not be going at power boat speeds. A grounding in sand or mud will not tear off your running gear. The keel is kinda a guard for the prop and rudder (That's why the rudder should have less draft than the keel). A hard grounding on rock, for instance, is another story even at low speed.
It's a lead keel, so no big deal. (That rhymes!)