Atomic 4 no oil dipstick?

Aug 4, 2021
Marshall Sandpiper Toms River
Hello,
A friend has an Atomic 4 in a 1970 Bristol 32. We can not find a dipstick tube with a slender dipstick to check oil levels. Are we both just blind or is their a secret to this situation? Thanks.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Stolen from the Moyer board, Moyer marine is all things A4. Dipstick on the side with the water pump and alt, right in front of the transmission cover.
a4pic.jpg

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If it's like mine, the dipstick is hiding under the wiring to the distributer and coil. A 1/4" hole that is difficult to return the dipstick too. The grab loop on my dipstick is very short and right at the hole. You might try this if engine access is from the front. Dipstick extension kit – moyermarine

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
With the engine pitched down at the rear how accurate is the dipstick located there? I would think the dipstick should be near the center of the engine to provide an accurate reading regardless of engine pitch.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
With the engine pitched down at the rear how accurate is the dipstick located there? I would think the dipstick should be near the center of the engine to provide an accurate reading regardless of engine pitch.
The oil would still be level in the engine no matter where the dipstick is placed. The dipstick length and full mark might be different.

My manual is in the boat but from what I recall the early model A4 (built until the late 60's) had marks on the dipstick that corresponded with engine angle. On the late models (ha ha) they determined an oil level up to a certain engine angle was ok. Can't remember the angle. Of course the steeper the angle the less overall oil in the engine at the same dipstick mark. I guess the manufacturer decided that was ok on the late models.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
No, Carbon to keep it from producing too much power and running away.:yikes:
I really never worried about too much power when I had an A4 powered boat. :)

They are pretty tolerant of oil level. It's a very primitive engine, kinda like 4 lawnmower engines smushed together.

The zenith carbs really don't like ethanol though. Every 2-3 years would require a rebuild.