Atomic 4 Muffler Replacement

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I need to replace a muffler on my 1970 Tartan 34C. I know that I can purchase a SS one from Moyer Marine, but am wondering if there is a alternative method or source. Any suggestions?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The Atomic 4 on my Ranger had a plastic muffler. I don't know the source, or desirability of plastic but I'm sure it was a lot less expensive. They do exist.

May 8, 2010
C&C 30 Chesapeake Bay
I have an almost new one that I had in my 1974 C&C30; probably the same one. I don't think that it's plastic. It's looks like some kind of plastic/epoxy fiber that is very durable. If you are interested, email is keith 8542 at gmail.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Sorry guys.

The Tartan 34C is fitted with a very tall standpipe muffler rather than the more common waterlift mentioned in the responses. The Moyer product is designed for the Tartan. Replacing it with a waterlift risks serious exhaust backpressure and possible backflooding.

To be sure the foregoing is accurate, the muffler is hidden in a recess in the head bulkhead, correct? Engine in the center of the boat with a box over it?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I think we need to be clear on whether the muffler is a wet muffler or a dry muffler. I once worked on a 30' sailboat that had it's Atomic 4 removed, and we were installing a 2 cylinder Yamaha diesel. The old muffler was similar to a car muffler, with no provisions for cooling water to pass through it. The new muffler was an Aquamuffler, for a wet system.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I think we need to be clear on whether the muffler is a wet muffler or a dry muffler. ...The old muffler was similar to a car muffler, ....
A boat once backed in to a club stern-in circle raft. I could hear it, and knew it must be an Atomic 4- and it was. It sounded like one of those "Cherry Bomb" glass-pack mufflers we had on all the hot rods... back in the day when you could do that.

Jan 22, 2008
Both the standpipe and waterlift are wet exhaust systems, completely different principles.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Sorry guys.

The Tartan 34C is fitted with a very tall standpipe muffler rather than the more common waterlift mentioned in the responses. The Moyer product is designed for the Tartan. Replacing it with a waterlift risks serious exhaust backpressure and possible backflooding.

To be sure the foregoing is accurate, the muffler is hidden in a recess in the head bulkhead, correct? Engine in the center of the boat with a box over it?
You are correct about the standpipe muffler and the location. I was hoping to check out other muffler manufacturers to see if they have a replacement. Looks like I'll be purchasing a new one from Moyer. When I rebuilt the engine I purchased all the parts from them and they were very helpful.
Thanks for the input Old Skool Neil you have been a great help.

Jan 22, 2008
As you have no doubt seen, as far as I know there is nobody manufacturing a stock standpipe system other than Moyer. Your only other option is a custom fabrication and to be right it should be done by someone familiar with standpipe design. Fat chance of that these days.

Moyer's catalog is amazing, offering parts beyond specific A-4 items that cannot be found elsewhere. This Tartan exhaust system is a great example.

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
If this is the same muffler, the ericsonyachts.org site has a drawing of one in the 'docs' section. I'm not smart enough to repost it..