At Last, a Throne that fits my ___!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Jones

My brother-in-law and I are partners on a 1994 H40.5 and both of us have , we like to think, normal posteriors. A typical head on a boat does not lend itself to us "normal" sized men of middle aging experiences. I was pleased to learn that the Jabsco household size toilet has the same footprint as the compact size that came standard on our boat. All I had to do was get the new bowl product number from Jabsco, give that info to West Marine, have it shipped to my marina, then replace the compact with the household size. (aft head) It will also fit in the forward head but I'm a little concerned about the amount of room it will take up in that location. I did not have to make any other accommodations to fit the new toilet in our boat. One note, the bowl doesn't come with a seat, but since it is household size, WalMart took care of that nicely and when I told the cashier it was for a boat, she didn't even triple the cost! Bill Jones s/v Bardi Sea

R

Rich Stidger

How can you *Possibly* even think...

of going to sea without a fully marinized head seat? If you haven't paid 3X as much as it's worth, can you possibly have a product that is capable of withstanding the stress of the sea? I always ask if I can pay more when I buy boat equipment. I am often accomidated. I'm getting ready for my cruising parties. Anyone know of a good place to buy some marinized toothpicks?...

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

You may have to move the whole thing forward...

Because the discharge is the middle of marine toilet bowls, the larger size is bigger forward AND aft...something most people fail to take into account when measuring to see whether a larger bowl will fit. If there's 2-3" of space behind the back of the bowl, no prlbme...but if the back of smaller bowl is tight against the bulkhead, the base has to come forward in order for the bowl to fit. However, a toilet seat is a toilet seat...if you can find one that fits and doesn't wobble at Home Depot for considerably less than the marine market price, go for it.

E

Ed Schenck

Idea!

Why not just get a Walmart seat and install it on my undersized Raritan Cricket head? Might look a little funny with all that overhang but so what? I'll get one of the padded ones in case of rough weather. :)

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

That won't work Ed...

The mounting hardware won't line up. But you CAN replace the bowl on the Cricket with the larger one...and THEN get the larger seat from Walmart. Except for "compact" models, every toilet is available with a larger "highboy" bowl. Unfortunately, though, although their catalogs all show a price for the Highbody model, the boat stores only stock the "standard" small bowl on their shelves...you can't just run to the store and pick one up. Since 9 people out of 10 complain about small marine toilets, seems to me it would make more sense to do it the other way around.

B

Bill Jones

Peggy...

I've already installed the new head and didn't have to move the whole thing forward. Nor did I have to cut out a hole in the bulkhead in order for the "pipes" to fit. Another (1993) H40.5 owner said he had to do the latter in order for the door to be able to open. In the 1994 model, there is plenty of space without modifications. It appears it would work in the forward head also, but it would take up more space in a smaller head. Bill Jones

J

Jonny Quest

PART NUMBERS?

Sir, Good afternoon. I want to install the same head in my 1994 40.5. What are the Jabsco part numbers for the head? Any other mods required? Please advise. Respectfully, Jon

B

Bill Jones

Jabsco Part Number

Jon, I no longer have the part number for the household size head, but you can locate the Jabsco website just by searching "Jabsco". They can only sell to distributers, but they will give you the numbers you need to call West Marine. Regarding other modifications. I was under the impression that I would have to cut a hole in the bulkhead behind the bowl in order for the hoses to fit and have enough space for the door to open. However, I was pleased to discover that on my 1994 model there was sufficient room without doing anything. I merely switched bowls. It required taking the entire pedestal out that the bowl is attached to due to the way the bolts are set up, but other than that nothing to it! Bill Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.