At 2500 rpm I average about 5.3 knots...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

with my 84 Hunter 34. I've got a yanmar 3gmf with a 2 blade 15x12 propeller. The best I can get under full throttle is just under 6 knots. Should I be doing better with my current setup? Also can I do better with a different prop, ie 15x15 or a three blade?

B

Bob Cree

My h34 is about the same

My 86 H34 will do 5.5 at 2400 rpm. My top speed is approximately 6 knots but I usually run at 2400 rpm as the fuel consumption is much less. Guess that if I was in a hurry, I would not have a sailboat.

L

Lionel

3 blades

I have a hunter 34 / 1984 with a 3 blade propeller i usually get 5.8 to 6.0 knots at 2.500 rpm But on the other hand i get lots of noise when sailing !!!and it surely slows the boat . looks likes you have to choose between motoring or sailing

C

Charles Duhon

Better performance & no propwalk

We had the same low performance you describe under power plus terrible propwalk in reverse . . . so after learning on HOW that the H34 was built with the wrong prop, we had our 15 x 12 prop re-pitched to a 15 x 14 and added non-slip tips. The result was amazing! I can get 5.25 knots at only 1500 rpm! plus much better stopping power in reverse. Did I mention propwalk? well now we have almost zero propwalk in reverse!, backs better and straight with neutral helm. Have not checked speed a full throttle yet cause I really don't need to. Yanmar recommends a 15 x 15 prop but I did'nt want to spend $300 for a new prop so we had the modifications done for $125. By the way Kilian Propeller in San Leandro California is the place to talk to See their website. Charles & Lynn "Artistry"

B

BP

Same

Have the same specs and at 2500rpm average about the same(5.4 knots). interesting story about the fuel consumption... After motoring in and out of the river channel to the marina we "slip" in, for the past 3 months, every weekend. I was concerned about the amount of fuel remaining, since I don't have a fuel gage. So we pulled into the fuel docks and decided to fill'er up..... with a HUGE 2.7 gallons of diesel. Not bad having 22.3 gallons on reserve...

D

David L.

15 x 15

I have a Martec 15 x 15, 2 blade prop if you are intrested? lampton@shellus.com

Status
Not open for further replies.